Worlds End

mitsme 12:35 26 Jun 07

According to old Irish Lore. Ireland will sink seven days before the end of the world.

O'er the last few years in Ireland we've the odd village here, odd new village there getting a right good soaking. Spanking new houses they were too!

Think that's mostly down to bad foresight on the planning people & the farmers that sold their waterlogged fields for development.

I'm just thinking of the elements, rain in particular, you know where it goes........Downhill!

The flood waters will drain.

The above may sound a facetious but I really do feel for people that are having so much disruption, chaos and loss of life. I hope that their community comes to the fore. The water will drain.
The material damage? Hopefully covered with insurance. Some things are irreplaceable. But houses are homes. If it's not demolished, wait, it will dry.

It's a pig of an inconvenience!

Ireland has not sunk yet. World's not at an end!

And there's a superstition for you!

Totally-braindead 12:47 26 Jun 07

Regarding some of the new build houses being flooded its simply because they are built on old flood plains. All right perhaps the last time it was flooded was 100+ years ago but it doesn't take a genius to work out that if an area floods every hundred or more years then it will flood again.
Why planning permission gets passed for houses built in these areas I just don't know. I can only assume it comes down to 2 things money and greed.
Perth is not far away from me and they have had a terrible time in the past 10-15 years with floods and many of the houses that are affected are bought new build houses. Obviously they were built in a stupid place, I feel very sorry for anyone who has bought a house like this, not only do you have the pain of losing possessions etc but you can't sell the house on. Who would buy a house knowing it had been flooded recently and might be/probably will be flooded again. I'm sure if the owners had been told before purchase they would never have bought them in the first place.

anskyber 12:51 26 Jun 07

"Why planning permission gets passed for houses built in these areas I just don't know. I can only assume it comes down to 2 things money and greed."

I'm sure you did not mean it to read this way but it looks as if you are saying that planning permission is granted because of financial inducements which are of course illegal.

Cymro. 12:56 26 Jun 07

Then there is the added problem of insurance for such houses. In my part of the world many

people are already finding it more and more difficult to get insurance and if they do then

it costs the Earth. So more and more are taking the risk of not having adequate insurance.

But still building is allowed on land that is a flood plain. If the sea levels do rise then it will only add to an already serious problem.

Seth Haniel 14:11 26 Jun 07

have been up to Scone a few times and crossing the Tay have seen the flooded fields

Feel sorry for those in the south - Boscastle for instance where all that money was spent on defences and they and they still got hit

Kate B 14:16 26 Jun 07

Insuring a property like that is a real problem - the Sunday Telegraph did a piece on it last weekend. click here (and I wrote the rather excellent headline on it *preens a bit*)

HondaMan 14:36 26 Jun 07

but surely people have a duty to themselves to check the integrity of the building site. A quick look at an OS map will tell you if it's on a flood plain, or deep in a valley, or even at or just above sea-level. Truro in Cornwall being one example of this.

Insurance companies insure a "risk". Getting flooded every year is not a risk, it's a dead certainty and they will not cover it.

HondaMan 14:37 26 Jun 07

yes, but not nearly as bad, but I'm not convinced that the flood prevention works, err, worked.

Cymro. 15:22 26 Jun 07

Re. but surely people have a duty to themselves to check the integrity of the building site.

Yes probably so, but lets face it many people can`t even read a map even if they could be

bothered to do so. A better system might be to get the surveyor to check it out when he

checks the house for the mortgage. It would cost a little more for the survey but might be worth it in the end.

anskyber 15:45 26 Jun 07

It's worth pointing out that there is no general duty on Government to protect property from flooding. There are discretionary powers. Buying a home is always for the purchaser to assess the risks, not knowing though a lack of investigation is something the purchaser must deal with.

The other point of interest is from December 2006 the national planning policy on flood risk has changed. In simple terms planning permission should not be granted for housing on designated flood plains. (A a FP is where an area has been designed for that purpose or an area which floods naturally on a 1 in 20 year basis)

For other areas like those which can flood on a 1 in 100 years planning permission can be granted subject to other tests. It's a risk based approach which accepts, yes accepts, that housing can be built in certain areas which could flood.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 26 Jun 07

Its is said the world will end in a whimper rather than a bang.

or maybe a gurgle as we all drown from rising sea levels and excess rainfall?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac