World Community Grid

welshbenson 19:01 10 May 06

Anyone heard of the World Commuinty Grid?

octal 19:19 10 May 06

What this? click here

No.

welshbenson 20:14 10 May 06

Doing good for mankind

octal 21:00 10 May 06

Very laudable, don't get me wrong but while your computer is not being used it could well be switch off and save the planets resources which will also help mankind.

I just worked out the consumption of those 327,143 devices, assuming they take an average of 200 watts, they obviously won't all be on at the same time that's a hefty 60MW of power being consumed, that's the output of one generator in a power station.

Forum Editor 23:28 10 May 06

now, but here in this forum we participated in the first one of its kind when we ran a PCAdvisor team in the Intel-United Devices Cancer Research Project originally set up by the Ntional Foundation for Cancer Research at Oxford university.

Distributed computing is the term applied to these idle-time computer projects, and as I said there are many of them, usually very worthy causes, and well-worth considering. If you don't want to get too serious, but would like to participate in something for a bit of fun you might consider the internet movie project, which aims to produce films that have been created by participants using distributed computing.
click here for more details on that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…