Workman and their rubbish

Grambo 08:08 06 Jul 07

We had booked a plasterer to do a few fairly small jobs yesterday. I was at work but my other half was at home while they did a reasonable tidy job on the ceilings. By coincidence it was the same day that the wheelie bin was out for collection. Returned home and attempted to move it back to its rightful place and it would hardly budge, even on wheels. Looking inside the bin was a huge solid lump of set plaster, in a bag. Dont know how im gonna get it out of bin, let alone to the dump. I went ballistic at their laziness, but the other half defended them (she doesnt have to shift this lump lol) by saying the plasterer will get charged for tip disposal, and unless you specify disposal (and extra cost) its all down to you. This cant be right. Any building task, big or small, will end up with rubbish left over. Am I out of kilt here

egapup 08:27 06 Jul 07

Wont it get collected just like the other rubbish in the bin?

namtas 08:27 06 Jul 07

I would imagine that your lump of plaster would be classed as trade waste - or to use the contractor jargon "arising's". By employing a reputable contractor anyone would expect that any such
excess material or waste from the job would be costed in and removed by them unless you had negotiated otherwise. It does look like you have been caught to save them time and cost. You could get it out of your bin by tipping it upside down. Your local refuse will not take this, you will have to take it to your local refuse point, most will ignore a small amount of trade without question, but strictly speaking it is classed as trade wastes as opposed to normal domestic waste and carries a hefty disposal charge
Count yourself fortunate that it does not contain any asbestos in which case you would have a very expensive problems sitting in your bin

€dstowe 08:41 06 Jul 07

Didn't they have any notion of the quantities of plaster required and then mix just sufficient for the job? Or is that too easy?

In these times of the conservation of everything, this is unacceptable.

Stuartli 08:46 06 Jul 07

Decent workmen will include the cost of a small or larger skip in the payment for work done or take away any waste or rubbish which they have created.

They should also leave the premises in a clean state on completion of each day's work.

It happens in mine and other family members' cases; for instance we had two large conifer trees cut back sharply only last week.

The "tree surgeon" removed all the considerable quantity of cuttings for disposal - the disposal site he has to use is 10 miles away.

BT 08:47 06 Jul 07

I'm having a Conservatory built starting next week and the Contract clearly details that they will remove all spoil and rubbish and leave the site clean. The only thing they will not remove is hazardous substances such as Asbestos, but this understandable and isn't relevent in my case.

wallbash 09:03 06 Jul 07

To €dstowe , my understanding of the art of plastering , is the basic material is very cheap but you are paying for the ability of the guy to make it 'stick' to the wall/ceiling.
When mixing , especially if the guy was by himself , he is going to over estimate the quantiles, as he cant afford to NOT have enough.
You would not want to be in the middle of a wall/ceiling and run out.

Me! I would tip the bag out. Hit with a hammer,
pick out a few large lumps. Save them until the next time the wheelie is empty.
Look at ceiling, are you happy with the result,
happy with bill. Well.... thats what counts.

Would you been happier if you were told it would have been plus £80 for a small skip.

Cymro. 11:52 06 Jul 07

As has been said already, if you want rubbish, especially trade waste removed, then it is in one way or the other going to cost you.

The plasterer would have to charge you for his time to take it to be dumped and then charged you whatever he had to pay the dump operator to take it.

All this should have been agreed between you and the plasterer before the work was started.
You ask "Am I out of kilt here" well yes I suppose you are, but you will know next time.

Stuartli 11:59 06 Jul 07

My admiration for skilled plasterers is sky high.

I have a number of friends in the building trade, both working and retired, and we always been in unison that they deserve every penny they earn.

wallbash 12:25 06 Jul 07

Most ( if not all ???) building jobs are achievable by the average DIY er. Your brick work might not be as straight, but livable in a garden wall? Your plumbing not as neat, but should not leak etc etc
But how any one manages to stick plaster on a ceiling without covering himself, walls and floor with a layer of pink , is beyond me.

Cymro. 12:34 06 Jul 07

But how any one manages to stick plaster on a ceiling without covering himself, walls and floor with a layer of pink , is beyond me.

I suppose we don`t pay them for what they do, but for knowing how to do it properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos