word count; suggestion for postings

p;3 11:49 29 Nov 05

I note that the threads have a character count above the reply box; I have recently been completing a form on line and it has the facility to count-down the remaining character linit so one knows when one has reached the end of allowed space; just wondered if that facility is possible to incorporate on here?

Totally-braindead 13:04 29 Nov 05

Its an idea I suppose but I would think there would be very few times that a single posting would come anywhere near the 4500 character limit.

pj123 13:48 29 Nov 05

But if it does exceed/come close to the limit you could always post "part 2" as in all those "log" thingies we get.

Chegs ®™ 14:13 29 Nov 05

There was a posting from adie1972(I think)that was alerting us to a change in the word count to a character count,and if you over did it there's a java popup telling you so.I have rarely managed to exceed the word count,even though I am by nature a very long-winded poster(on occasion)and the post from adie vanished shortly after I had responded to it.The post was in Speakers Corner. ;-)

navvyman 16:44 29 Nov 05

..........particularly as I have spent ages getting sensible postings within the (in my view) miserly 450 character limit!

New specs for Christmas.

Chegs ®™ 17:01 29 Nov 05

Please note - there is a 4500 character limit for messages.

Forum Editor 18:06 29 Nov 05

to add any more gizmos to the site for now, and in any case, I don't think it's necessary to have a character counter.

Chegs ®™ 19:12 29 Nov 05

Does that mean the java popup that was posted by Adie doesn't exist?

I usually draft any long posts in Word prior to posting,then I can spellcheck,word count,etc as I once used IE to draft a very long response only to get an error posting requiring my retyping the whole lot afresh.

Forum Editor 20:14 29 Nov 05

Who said it didn't exist? Read what I say, not what you think I said.

p;3 referred to a character count-down.

p;3 22:23 29 Nov 05

thanks for the replies (none of which I got a notification about either); I found the form I recently completed on line very useful with its character count-down, so I knew when I was reaching my limit on posting or how much more I could add to each section without running out of space;

Chegs ®™ 22:25 29 Nov 05

I was only asking for clarification as the java popup could be construed as a character counter(albeit a very basic one) and your post could also be construed to mean there is no such facility which contradicts the missing post from Adie. ;-)

I'm certainly not going to type a very long (4500 character plus)post to find out if there is/isn't a popup. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…