Wooden Flooring

user8 13:53 21 Aug 09

I need to put wooden flooring down in a friends conservatory.
But need some sort of waterproof membrain to put down first?
Any ideas on what we should put down on to the concrete flooring?

Chris the Ancient 14:06 21 Aug 09

A good guide here click here

SimpleSimon1 17:39 21 Aug 09

I would also take a look at Bamboo flooring e.g click here

We have just finished a house rebuild and decided to use bamboo flooring from the above in the dining room/kitchen. It looks absoutely great, is incredibly hard-wearing (budget for some replacement saw and/or router blades) and was much cheaper than wood (ca.£20 m2). Also, if it floats your boat, you can be seriously smug cos, as a grass, it's totally sustainable (unlike wooden floors).

Sister-in-law liked it so much she did the same and also use it for the stairs. Looks very nice.

Only worry might be if marauding pandas try to eat it but don't think that's very likely in Newbury :-)

v1asco 19:47 22 Aug 09

We had to have a special membrane as we were in a radon gas area, may be worth checking out on your local council web site.

Forum Editor 23:33 22 Aug 09

has been properly (and recently) constructed it will already have a membrane underneath the concrete. It may even have a layer of rigid foam insulation between the membrane and the concrete, although because it's a conservatory there would have been no requirement to comply with that part of the building regulations.

In any event it will do no harm to lay a waterproof membrane under the timber floor. What type of flooring are you laying? If it's the popular type of floor panel with a decorative timber facing bonded to a ply backing you'll need to lay an insulating and cushioning underlay first. The best type is the one with a foil backing which acts as a heat reflector - you lay it with the foil side down. An excellent way to waterproof the surface of a concrete slab is to paint it with a couple of coats of what the building trade calls 'Black-jack'. This is a water-based bituminous liquid coating that is brown when applied and black when dry. It's very easy to apply (although quite messy), dries overnight, and makes an excellent surface on which to lay the insulating matting for the timber floor.

Do all of that and you'll have a perfectly dry floor. Make sure the concrete is swept well to remove dust before you start.

Forum Editor 23:36 22 Aug 09

Don't lay the timber floor panels tight against the walls - leave a 10mm gap all round. This is to allow the timber some room for thermal expansion. If you don't do it your friend will find the floor bowing upwards as it expands.

Take the skirting boards off first, and when you replace them over the new floor their thickness will hide the expansion gaps.

BT 07:55 23 Aug 09

My Conservatory is, as FE says, with a Rigid Foam layer and blue poly membrane beneath the concrete. On top of the concrete they put a 'dry' screed and the people who laid the Vinyl put down a latex based self levelling screed on top of that. If you are having Vinyl in a Conservatory you should have the type that is designed for that purpose that can cope with the extremes of temperature.

birdface 13:44 23 Aug 09

With wooden flooring you usually have to buy The silver coated underlay with it.That is supposed to stop any dampness from getting through I would presume.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac