Wonders of the Solar System

mr simon 00:11 09 Mar 10

I feel compelled to post a link up to this documentary, the first of a series, this weeks focusing on the Sun and it effects on the rest of the system.

Brian Cox is a very likable presenter and seems to have a very deep passion for his subject, a subject he delivers very well. You will learn a lot but it doesn't feel like a lecture.

On iPlayer at the moment, I recommend it:

click here

gaucho. 01:04 09 Mar 10

Watched it on Sunday evening. V good.
Looking forward to next weeks offering.

Mark5001 07:39 09 Mar 10

An excellent programme, well presented and informative. He seems to show the passion and knowledge for his subject matter that another great scientist did, The late,great Carl Sagan. His series Cosmos in the early eighties was the landmark series that all others must bow to.

gengiscant 08:25 09 Mar 10

Fell asleep during this enjoyable program but will watch the repeat through the week.
Never understood the point of the BBC iPlayer as the BBC repeats most of its programs anyway on its digital channels.

Legolas 08:53 09 Mar 10

Very interesting and mind boggling programme with a good presenter. I am sure the 'seeing stars'story raised a few smiles.

jack 08:56 09 Mar 10

This topic always grabs my attention especially if the presenter is of the caliber of Brian Cox,
However of late I have also found my self thinking - with all the troubles besetting this planet- how much more quickly some of those problems could be resolved if all the brain power of the folk like Cox and the treasure they absorb- were turned a little more inward toward today's problems and less time time spent on what is in the main mere conjecture and opinion.

muddypaws 10:04 09 Mar 10

Thoroughly enjoyed it, but once again felt that the background music was too loud on my system even with the centre turned up. A friend confirmed the same on his.

Pine Man 10:26 09 Mar 10

Started off very well indeed and then got boring - IMHO.

mr simon 11:03 09 Mar 10

The part that awed me the most was when he mapped the solar system with the jelly beans and lighter. My perspective was very far out.

wolfie3000 11:45 09 Mar 10

I missed it, so ty for the link.
Off to watch it now.

MAJ 12:20 09 Mar 10

"how much more quickly some of those problems could be resolved if all the brain power of the folk like Cox and the treasure they absorb- were turned a little more inward toward today's problems and less time time spent on what is in the main mere conjecture and opinion."

I live in one of Ireland's main astronomical centres, we have professors coming out of our ears, Patrick Moore was born here, if you only have a PHD you're considered a failure. I know quite a few of these people fairly well, I have had access to and used the same telescopes they use, I have taken tea with them and I can tell you that while, yes, they are great thinkers in their field, most of them couldn't tie their own shoes if left to their own devices.

Anyhow, that aside, I'm looking forward to seeing the Wonders of The Universe, I missed it on Sunday and Brian Cox seems to be the type of guy who can put it across with enthusiasm, although I doubt if it will come close to the definitive "Cosmos" and the master, Carl Sagan.

iPlayer, is booked for a nice quiet, wife free, cat free, daughter-looking-driven-somewhere free moment, probably in the early hours of the morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…