Rum & Raisin Ice Cream

4 tablespoons (dark) Rum

4 oz raisins

3 oz sugar

4 fl oz water

3 egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

3/4 pint) double cream

1. Put 1/2 the rum into a small bowl; add the raisins and leave to soak for 4 hours.

1a. Drink the other 1/2 of the Rum, this is called 'the cooks treat.'

2. Meanwhile put the sugar and water into a small heavy-based saucepan and stir occasionally over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. DO NOT be tempted to TOUCH the LIQUID.
3. Place the egg yolks and vanilla essence in a bowl and whip until light and creamy. (They will form ‘ribbons’ if a spoonful is lifted from and dropped back into the mix.) Beating constantly, slowly pour the hot syrup on to the egg yolk mixture. Leave to cool then, add the marinated raisins.
4. Whip the cream until just stiff then fold into the egg and raisin mixture.

5 Pour into a freezer container, cover and place in the freezer in the ‘fast freeze box’.

6. After 1 hour, Remove the ice cream and turn into a bowl and beat well. Return it to the container and freeze again for 1 hour.
7. Remove the ice cream, turn it into a bowl and beat again, then return it to the container and freeze again.
8. Transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving to soften.

This is the best you can get without an Ice Cream Maker. Where it says 'beat' make sure you beat the hell out of it otherwise 'ice crystals' will form and become 'crunchy' and it makes for poor presentation when served.

Hanx!
K.

Hackwatch 17:19 01 Apr 07

Baskins Robbins used to do Rum & Rasin a few years ago.
Not sure if the sold it in the UK though.

Bingalau 18:40 01 Apr 07

I would love it if I were not allergic to raisins. so I think I will delete the raisins and just lick a rum cornet.

Forum Editor 19:05 01 Apr 07

to try this recipe over Easter.

What I need now is a decent recipe for mint ice-cream.

Some years ago, when American ice-cream shops were springing up everywhere I used to buy an ice-cream called 'Minuteman mint'. It was without question the best mint-flavoured ice-cream I've ever tasted. It would be nice to get something similar now, but I don't think there is such a thing.

Another favourite is coconut ice-cream. I last had it at a London restaurant called San Lorenzo, served with fresh mango - pure heaven.

Kate B 19:22 01 Apr 07

*licks lips*

Bingalau 19:52 01 Apr 07

FE. Now your talking.... I like anything mint flavoured. Also anything coconut flavoured. Helps a lot in a curry too. No not the mint the coconut.

Bingalau 19:55 01 Apr 07

Z1100. Just re-read your recipe and it looks a bit light on rum to me... Are you sure that shouldn't read 4 Ladles of dark rum???

Forum Editor 20:10 01 Apr 07

4 larkles of rum dadle?

Totally-braindead 21:01 01 Apr 07

Gusfhnnka he slurred after eating half a gallon of Rum and Rum ice cream.

Bingalau 21:38 01 Apr 07

FE. You've got the idea... I wonder what Rum; coconut and mint would be like? (as per your measure above).

Totally-braindead 21:52 01 Apr 07

Rum, malibu and creme de menthe ice cream. Sounds lovely.

And if its not you can get so sozzled you wouldn't care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5