WMF exploit

octal 21:52 04 Jan 06

I've just been reading this click here I have had 7 emails all with an attachment either TXT or JPG which are inert, the TXT says "This is an email" the JPG says "Happy New Year". The problem is there is a link in the email which directs you to a web site that no doubt contains the nasty. Luckily most of the sites seemed to be removing the links as they are discovered, at least the ones I've tried so far have.

The final email this evening had an EXE attachment which my AV couldn't identify, but warned it could be a back door Trojan.

I'm only posting this as a warning because I've never received this level of malicious emails in one day before.

By the way I'm *not* running Windows, so this is just to satisfy anyone who is curious to know what's in the emails and are tempted to open them, don't, just delete them.

Stay safe.

CurlyWhirly 20:25 05 Jan 06

Thanks for thinking of us Windows users Octal ;o)

octal 21:49 05 Jan 06

You're welcome. I'm going to take one liberty too many in the lions den and get attacked myself one day :-)

Forum Editor 23:21 05 Jan 06

for the heads-up, octal.

CurlyWhirly 20:45 06 Jan 06

I am pleased to say that Microsoft have now released an 'official' fix which I installed yesterday evening.

octal 21:40 06 Jan 06

Yes I know, good news.

I don't know why, but I get quite upset when I keep hearing about all these exploits on Windows, I know I shouldn't, but I do.

So I will continue to open the emails as I receive them and checking the links and attachments to see what they are and warn people, it just makes me feel better knowing I might have prevented at least one person from opening them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now