Wireless networks...

Gaz 25 15:32 26 Jul 05

click here

What do you think?

I actually feel that you shouldn't be held responsible if someone doesn't protect it. It's not exactly breaking in, most laptops will connect to any wifi spot with no protection anyway.

May not have been all his fault. There are about 3 different hotspots where I live and I could connect, no pass, no security and load google. It's just an insane stunt by UK police again, to catch more innocent people (well to a degree) instead of catching real hackers.

Jackcoms 20:33 26 Jul 05

"There are about 3 different hotspots where I live and I could connect".

A (public) wi-fi hotspot is a completely different animal to your neighbour's (or any private) wireless network.

powerless 22:06 26 Jul 05

**...for breaking sections 125 and 126 of the Communications Act of 2003, which made it an offence to use bandwidth without the consent of its owner.**

Full Stop! The law was broken.

Gaz 25 22:13 26 Jul 05

Someone can leave an unprotected router, obviously they dont have much know how of setting upa basic router properly, yet they found this guy. lol

The hotspots are not public in my area, they are people down the road or accross. They even have default ssid like: Belkin_54Guk and stuff.

Sir Radfordin 22:46 26 Jul 05

I was recently away from home and booted up a laptop and loaded Outlook and wandered away from the machine. Came back to see it had connected and downloaded emails using an open network. Guess you could argue that the law had been broken though since it was the computers choice to connect is it the one that can be found guilty!?

John-259217 23:57 26 Jul 05

Quoting from a site in one of the less salubrious areas of the internet:-

"Windows XP, you just gotta love an Operating system that wardrives by default"

Maybe you could blame Bill Gates or at least put him in the frame as an accessary. ;-)))))

Forum Editor 08:04 27 Jul 05

sometimes bring a bit of legal confusion with them, and this is a case in point.

The argument that because the owner of something doesn't lock it up it's OK to steal it is flawed, and certainly wouldn't exonerate you from blame. Unsecured wireless networks will rapidly become a thing of the past in any case - just as an Internet-connected computer without some form of anti-virus protection has become a thing of the past.

Everyone will catch up,and no doubt there will be plenty of people who find ways to break in, no matter how sturdy the locks - that's life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…