Wireless Networking Explosion?

crosstrainer 13:24 03 Mar 08

Or not, as the case may be. Seems from the latest PCA poll that 40% of people who responded do not have a wireless connection, nor do they plan to use one.

Strange, as we have done nothing but install and configure the things since Christmas. Maybe an area thing? I have sat in the car in several streets in Cardiff recently (Mostly student land) and the lappy has picked up a wireless network in virtually every house! A lot were unsecured as well. This seems to be the must have technology of the moment, so am surprised at the results of the poll.

Pine Man 13:28 03 Mar 08

Have you considered that, like me, a lot of people have routers that are either cable or wireless and they are using it with a cable without realising that they should disable the wireless side of things?

crosstrainer 13:32 03 Mar 08

To be honest, I sold a fair portion of the routers in question, I think it's just that (dispite our advice) that students just don't bother with the security aspect of things.

I would hate to be on one particular street here, which has no les than 11 unsecured netwirks visible to all.

crosstrainer 13:33 03 Mar 08

Networks (whats a netwirk anyway?) And less, my typing is going from bad to worse, might be time to retire this old faithful MS keyboard in favour of a new one.

Cymro. 13:36 03 Mar 08

When you see all the problems people seem to be having with their wireless systems I am surprised that as many are using it.

You only have to look at the Networking section of this forum to see how many people are asking for help and advice with some wireless problem or other.

I think the technology still has some way to go before people will take to it. As things are now for many people it is just more bother than it is worth.

I am using wireless and manage well enough with it now but it is the one part of my system that I had the most problems with when I first started.

crosstrainer 13:39 03 Mar 08

They can be a bit tricy to setup, but when you've done it a couple of times, they become routine, and when you've done it hundreds of times they become boring :)

Pine Man 13:39 03 Mar 08

The reason I don't use wireless is that I only have a desktop and everything is close together. I did run Vista on wireless initially without any problem and then I tried doing the same with Ubuntu - phew! Out came the cable.

crosstrainer 13:41 03 Mar 08

Guess it must be a "Youth Culture" thing...We really have been flat out with this type of kit, at a time of year when things normally go slack...Shoudn't moan really, it's all beer tokens at the end of the day :)

Cymro. 13:48 03 Mar 08

Yes, as I said I have no problems with mine now but that first time can be a nightmare. I would hardly call them "plug and play".

Kemistri 13:55 03 Mar 08

Quite a few of the queries that we see here would be solved by reading a manual.

As for encryption, it amazes me that a lot of people still don't grasp the importance of it. If the plan to cut the internet access of those who download copyrighted content comes to fruition, that will probably cause a rise in wardriving.

I'll stick with my 11g routers for ages yet -- they work very well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Woolwell 14:37 03 Mar 08

This weekend had to replace my modem/router which was just over 2 years old. Manufacturer agreed with me that something had failed as it would not allocate IP addresses on any computer. The replacement was half the cost of the old, more powerful and much easier to set up with a good wizard which took me through every stage including the security. Last time it took several hours of head scratching and tinkering with firewalls, etc. Things have certainly moved on in 2 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos