Wireless laptops

PC Advisor 16:56 05 Nov 09

When using a laptop on the move, which wireless technology do you use most often to connect to the web?

Answer the poll in the left-hand side of the site, and discuss the results here

sunnystaines 19:09 05 Nov 09

used free wifi in a pub once had so many dodgy looks thought the lappy was going to be snatched when we left.

now use pay as you go dongle

"3" because its so fast and in area's where there is no "3" use T-Mobile a lot slower than "3" but has good coverage.

We are always out and about in a campervan so the dongle is very handy.

Chegs ®™ 19:41 05 Nov 09

I use whatever I can get access to,I have a mobile BB dongle(can be limited by summer growth,buildings etc)I have used several WiFi hotspots & on occasion connect via bluetooth adapter to my mobile phone when there are no BB dongle signals available or hotspots(or spare cash to pay for "airtime").The biggest problem I have is battery life on my laptop,as it seems to expire after just 1hr(again,depends on what use I put the laptop to)

Forum Editor 19:49 05 Nov 09

but not if I can help it. My preferred method of connection is a dongle from my phone network. It seems to work pretty well wherever I am, but outside Europe I get clobbered with some hefty data transfer charges.

peter99co 19:52 05 Nov 09

3 dongle. Camping and Caravanning. We have to check coverage at times but does the job getting weather forecasts and emailing. Never used the 3 gig allocation per month though.

Managing ed 10:41 06 Nov 09

And haven't been able to get my wireless broadband up and running for a few weeks (it's a long story involving BT ineptitude, several hours of call centre fun and the use of some very rude words...) This is something of a problem for an internet journalist! However, I have a mobile broadband dongle that has worked beautifully (I'm news editing PCA right now using it), and is more secure than using hotspots. Been absolutely clobbered for going over my data limit however!

Matt

DANZIG 16:12 06 Nov 09

When camping I use my T-mobile dongle. If on the road I use Mcdonalds etc. Loads of hotels have wi-fi now. And of course my trusty phone, which I'm using now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017