Wireless broadband/networks

brundle 17:17 20 Jul 06

Having seen the AOL `wireless from the same price as wired` advert a few times, it makes me wonder how many wireless routers a single area can cope with - there are only 11 channels and most of them overlap (in terms of signal attenuation). I only have a limited knowledge of such things I admit, are there any steps in the pipeline to solve the problem of interference?

ade.h 18:11 20 Jul 06

Thanks to AOL's ad campaign, I had someone ask me recently whether they needed to get their ADSL service from a particular provider for it to be compatible with a wireless network! I politely replied that any ADSL or cable broadband service will work over a wireless link.

Anyway, to your question: I think that things can only get worse.

11n is supposed to improve overlap, but I suspect that it will not make any positive difference in practice because the signal is much stronger with a longer range.

I'm glad that I don't live in an apartment block or cheek-by-jowl housing estate, where every network is closer to the next.

brundle 13:14 21 Jul 06

Thanks for your input ade.h
All seems to be rushing forward too fast for it's own good.

ade.h 13:26 21 Jul 06

The Wifi Alliance and the chipset manufacturers involved (such as Airgo) have had years to work this out, but it seems like it has been overlooked. Maybe it will turn out not to be an issue; we'll see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant