windows x\p security is becoming a bore.

norman47 22:21 06 Jul 04

Don't get me wrong I think that the x\p GUI is great and so easy to use. I have never had a blue screen or an automatic reboot. The computer zings along.

but and theres always a but,

I seem to spend a lot of time updating this and that. There is always an update for something posted in the helproom. Then their are the scans. Do your AV, your spybot, your add aware, check the firewall settings, cw shredder, check spyware blaster and prevx always has to be enabled on bootup ( I probably did something wrong on this).
I know I can automatically run the scans at a predetermined time, but I don't use the computer at specific times. SP2 is out soon, I have tried the beta version and no doubt some clever individual is going to find some flaws in it so they can attack x\p. Probably just to show how clever they are.

Is it my imagination or did we not have this many problems with 98se. Yes we had the occasional blue screen and the odd lockup, but was it this bad.

I don't think I would go back to 98 but the thought has flashed through my mind on more than one occasion.

Old Shep 22:27 06 Jul 04

I have had 95,98,me and now XP and you are right no blue screen of death no lock ups but on continual guard for viruses,trojans,diallers etc. Is it worth it as it was not like that before. Lets hope sp2 sorts all this out. (Don't hold your breath)

Valvegrid 22:32 06 Jul 04

I've decided to dual boot with 98SE on one drive and Xandros Linux on the other. Now that's boring, I've been using Xandros for a while now and there's nothing to do, no AV to update, no spyware to update and no trojens and very few general updates. Luckily I can go back to 98SE for a bit of fun ducking and diving the nasties :-)

stalion 22:39 06 Jul 04

Sign of the times we live in, absolutely nauseous having to keep taking preventative measures to stop being infected with viruses etc.But we have to live with it as in all aspects of life their are always people that want to cause chaos.

Forum Editor 23:54 06 Jul 04

It's hardly the fault of Windows XP that there are brainless nerds out there who see every new software release as a new opportunity for some gratuitous vandalism.

The Internet is now so much a part of our global infrastructure that we would find it difficult to function at our present level without it. Let's remember that without the Internet there would be virtually no problem with viruses, and hackers would cease to exist - Windows XP would sail along without needing any security updates.

Blame your fellow men and women for your need to be so vigilant - some of them are out to get you.

zootmo 21:11 08 Jul 04

I've been thinking about uninstalling Internet Explorer using XPlite.Since I.E is a major security headache it would be better gone,so,anyone used or using XPlite? I used this utility's younger brother, called 98lite, and found that after uninstalling I.E the '98 installation was super fast and super stable anyone any thought on this?

norman47 22:19 08 Jul 04

F.E. yes stalions remark is spot on, as is yours. X\P was built to be the most stable and secure for the time, but the brainless nerds ( your remark and I like it) have nothing better to do than sweat over there computers in an effort to bring it crashing down. It is these " brainless nerds" that is causing most of the extra vigilance we have to take.

They must think they are so clever to bring misery to so many by infecting computers, but who can they brag to, only other brainless nerds. This must frustrate them. Tough what ya ma call it to them. lol

zootmo.

I tend not to use I.E. but advant and opera as my browser. ( yes I know avant is based on the I.E. shell, but it seems more stable and less prone to attacks.) As to x\p lite this is something I have not used or considered. Yet.

zootmo 12:34 09 Jul 04

I too am using a different browser, right now I using Mozilla 1.7 as I really like the abililty to dictate what and who is leaving cookies on my computer. I have I.E removed in windows components add/remove and stopped via the firewall but I still feel that it is a massive security risk as it is still "there",what makes it an even more of a risk is that big corporations like micr$s$ft and internet service providers,banks etc. insist on using I.E.,it's the only browser they will recognise.How did the computing community allow ourselves to get to this position? How do we collectively change this position? can we make thing a lot harder for the idiot hackers out there? Perhaps Linux is the "real" Operating Systen after all.

I agree that too much of my time seems to be spent messing around with programmes to prevent potential security problems.

The way newspapers have been reporting Microsoft issue over the last few weeks though appears to be a tad unfair though - there probably only so many issues with MS product security because it is the main target of the brainless nerds referred to before.

If we all decided to jump ship and move on to Linux how long would it take the Nerds to switch targets and then Linux would be exactly where Microsoft appears to be now?

Forum Editor 13:24 10 Jul 04

that things would be better - security wise - if we all stopped using Microsoft software, because they wouldn't. I think that if the mass of general home computer users had a choice of several different Operating systems and browsers things would get worse. The market would be fragmented, and with smaller Research and development budgets the software companies might not devote so much money and effort into (a) making their products secure and/or (b) patching them when vulnerabilities were exposed.

If I visit a client today I can virtually guarantee that I'll see a Windows operating system on the machines. I know these operating systems - I've worked with all versions of Windows right through their beta cycles into the final release versions, and I understand them. I carry a case of 100 or so CDs with every patch and update, every virus-fix tool and every driver I can think of that will commonly be needed, and there's not much I can meet that I can't deal with.

Imagine a world where there were three or four widely used system types, each with three or four versions. Imagine the patches, fixes and drivers that would need to exist, and imagine the chaos that would result as everyone desperately tried to track down what they needed for their particular setup. Our Helproom would be inundated with problems, and the software companies themselves - the ones who produced the various systems - would stand virtually no chance. It would be a virus writers/hackers paradise.

Believe me, we're far better off with a giant like Microsoft. The company is under attack from one quarter or another pretty well ever day, and I have yet to see a web forum that didn't come complete with its regular band of MS bashers - it's about the only thing I can think of that truly unites the globe. Nevertheless, Microsoft continues to try hard to keep its software as safe as possible - I've been there, and I've seen how much time and effort goes into checking and double-checking before any code goes 'gold'. With tens of millions of lines of code it's almost guaranteed that there will be some tiny vulnerabilities however, and from the moment the software hits the streets there are people who devote all their time to finding those flaws and exploiting them. They're clever, these people - don't for a moment think otherwise - and they're determined to cause as much havoc as they can, just for the sheer fun of it. Many of the vulnerabilities are so obscure, and the chances of you ever being targetted by anything nasty are so remote, that you could happily go on for years without worrying. The trouble is that the MS bashers fall on every tiny little problem with cries of glee, and make as much noise about them as possible. The whole road show marches on, and we all hear stories of doom and gloom, but few, if any of us ever suffer any ill effects because of the supposed 'glaring' security holes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…