Windows Vista

carmichy 12:33 17 Mar 08

What is the use of an OS that restricts the programmes you want to download. I need to move on from Windows Vista

spikeychris 12:36 17 Mar 08

Explain that one a bit?

carmichy 12:51 17 Mar 08

Spikey I mean I try to download some games but Vista, in their wisdom, tells me they are unsafe and do not allow me to use them. Ist it my pc or theirs Doues that broaden it up for you ?

sinbads 12:56 17 Mar 08

You cannot move on from vista until windows 7 comes out You can, however go back to Xp

carmichy 13:00 17 Mar 08

Sinbads

I was only looking for other peoples opinion and I appreciate yours, Bill Gates is causing a lot of PC users to look at Linux

spikeychris 13:03 17 Mar 08

You can download whatever you want on to any operating system. You will however need to disable user control sometimes to do so.

click here_(UAC

sinbads 13:18 17 Mar 08

UAC is annoying for experienced users ;but for beginers its probably helpfull to remind users of the danger of allowing some programs,its no protection if the user clicks allow, however it also asks permissions for some of ms own software.Unfortunately it dosn't have the ability to learn.

You can turn UAC off in user accounts, what program downloads are you having problems with?

carmichy 13:37 17 Mar 08

Sinbads

I accept you are an experienced user otherwise you would not recognize a beginner but my point is why does windows vista make the decision for you

carmichy 13:41 17 Mar 08

Hey Spikey thanks for that link. I will look into in depth later. Sounds like it id what I am looking for. Thanks also Sinbads Salamat.

peter99co 13:42 17 Mar 08

It is protect us from ourselves and when you have more skill to handle unsafe downloads you can turn off UAC

sinbads 16:26 17 Mar 08

UAC cannot prevent spyware or nasties getting in to your computer, some beleive it does? at the end of the day if the user decides too continue, then the door will be open.

Single user, beginner, would benefit from these prompts if only to make you think before continuing.

If there are several users on your pc then UAC can be a usefull tool for the admin to allow users various permissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos