Windows pundit pours scorn on Vista

powerless 12:23 21 Apr 06

click here

Check out his review...on the current beta build.

keith-236134 13:06 21 Apr 06

Stay with XP then or get Linux.

spuds 13:33 21 Apr 06

Ever since the days of Windows 95, scorn as been the order of the day :o(

Totally-braindead 13:55 21 Apr 06

Its interesting what he says but I presume that hes talking about a Beta version and hopefully the problems he addresses will be sorted before the final release. Have to agree with spuds in that it seems every time something new comes out people just slag it. Having said that though if it comes out without the things he mentions being addressed there will be a lot of very unhappy bunnies.

Its not going to affect me for some time anyway, I'm happy with XP and see no reason to change. It was the same when I had Win 98SE I stuck with that for a long time before finally making the move to XP. And by the time I did make the switch almost all the problems and glitches had been sorted out.

Totally-braindead 13:56 21 Apr 06

I wonder if the FE has read any of this and agrees or disagrees with any of it because is he not involved in the Beta testing for Vista?

Arnie 14:28 21 Apr 06

I'm with you here Totally-braindead.

In view of Vista's problems and consequent release date change, I wonder how much Vista is eventually going to cost?

Also, how do we know for sure that the non beta version will be suitable for general sale even in 2007?

I'm going to get my £90 worth out of my XP Home Upgrade and stick with it!

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:51 21 Apr 06

He is not complaining about problems but the fact that many of the 'promised' features will not be happening. IMHO there is nothing that I have seen so far that is totally new, different or would make me go out and buy Vista. XP was a huge diference in stability and fell to ME and 98....I cannot see any evidence of any exciting changes in Vista.

G

ade.h 15:11 21 Apr 06

I hope to be testing the beta myself later this year and I will reserve judgement until then. Some of the missing features, such as the indefinitely abandoned WinFS, may well be missed. The file system, should it ever be resurrected, would not be a viable retrofit.

anskyber 16:55 21 Apr 06

Am I off beam here; for a writer to a Mac periodical there is no real advantage in saying much else is there? I would expect Mac supporters to be interested in Vista but may gain comfort from this interim opinion ahead of Vista release. I am sure his rather strong views are sincerely held, but there is a context to set them within.
GANDALF <|:-)> point on it being about the scope rather than the reliabilty of the OS is amn important distintion to remember.

anskyber 16:56 21 Apr 06

amn=an, distintion=distinction. oops!!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:55 21 Apr 06

The unbiased opinion of a Mac user writng for a Mac magazine. Enough said, I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…