Windows Phone has had a major update with a brand new digital assistant, Cortana. Would you buy a Windows Phone when you next upgrade your smartphone?

PC Advisor 16:11 05 Aug 14

Windows Phone is these days quite an attractive mobile platform, especially now that its Cortana digital assistant is available in the UK. But would you buy a Windows Phone for your next phone? Have your say in our poll.

rdave13 18:29 05 Aug 14

I still use the 520 and I think its a great bit of kit. Only use it for internet and phoning, though, not interested in the camera side of things. Videos it does takes rather well.

Flak999 18:52 05 Aug 14

Never in a million years! I have an IPhone and love it, can't wait until the 6 comes out.

Forum Editor 18:56 05 Aug 14

Strangely - for us - Flak999 and I are of one mind on this. It has happened on a couple of occasions recently, and is a worrying development. Perhaps we're both mellowing as the years roll on.

I shall stick with my iPhone - best phone I have ever used, and I've used a few.

Quickbeam 19:22 05 Aug 14

I'm happy with Android mainly in that it works so well with Google and Chrome, I understand it, how it works for me and it work right for me.

So why bother with any other when you're happy with whichever OS suits and works for you?

carver 19:22 05 Aug 14

In our house son/ daughter and wife all have IPhones and I'm the only one with a Samsung galaxy S3 and my next phone will be an IPhone 6.

I've been looking at them using their phones and got to the point were I realise that they are a pretty good phone.

Mines bigger but it isn't as good and windows phones are so bad.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:02 05 Aug 14

If I had the spare cash to buy a new iPhone, I would spend that money on a flash new graphics card for my PC and carry on putting coal and water in my old steam phone.

Maybe I'm a little odd but, I am happy to spend money on my PC but, my phone cost me less than £30 a few years ago and I'll keep using it until it dies.

Flak999 21:50 05 Aug 14

Forum Editor

"Perhaps we're both mellowing as the years roll on."

Yes, perhaps we are? I think, for my part at any rate, I have come to realise really quite late in the day that no amount of reasoned argument or debate in online forums ever really changes anybodys mind about anything!

I have been posting much less than I did in the past, here and in other forums that I contribute to, it's all rather pointless really isn't it? I'm spending much more time in my garden during this lovely weather and I think enjoying life more out of doors rather than hunched over a keyboard.

I still look in everyday, but since fourm member left us, the thrill of posting something controversial to annoy him and await his pithy response has gone.

Perhaps normal service will be resumed once the nights draw in, the jocks have left us and the dreaded approach of the time of year we cannot yet mention approaches!

DaveFarmer 22:07 05 Aug 14

I've had the pleasure of using a Nokia Lumia 920 for almost a year now and it's the best phone I've had. Windows Phone 8 is a breeze to use, it's colourful, functional and enjoyable. It does exactly what I want. Lots of people moan about the lack of apps, but seriously how many do you really want or need? I haven't had a problem finding apps for mine.

I was tempted to go with a Galaxy 4 but the Android OS is way too cluttered with too much "stuff" on it I'll never use. As for iPhones I never gelled with them for some reason.

My only gripe about Windows phone is waiting for the 8.1 update, which I'm very much looking forward to, but I can be patient. Overall it's a fabulous phone and I'm surprised at how many people call it "rubbish" as I'm guessing they haven't taken the time to try it out in a shop and are just repeating what others (who are equally uninformed) are saying.

Forum Editor 22:41 05 Aug 14

Flak999

"Perhaps normal service will be resumed once the nights draw in, the jocks have left us and the dreaded approach of the time of year we cannot yet mention approaches!"

I certainly hope so. Traditionally that has tended to be the case - we see more activity when everyone is back from holiday/not in the garden/at a barbecue, etc.

Then you and I can sharpen our wits, and settle down to a good old ding-dong about the state of our country. I can't wait.

(All this comes with my apologies to those who would prefer - and rightly so - to talk about Windows phones.)

Devil Fish 23:21 05 Aug 14

already have windows phone and to be honest im waiting for next upgrade cycle to go back to android lack of proper gps and lack of apps is a killer and even the apps that are available don't seems to work properly i sight adobe pdf reader as one of these tap here to open pdf can tap till heart content nothing happens so for me windows a no on next upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac