Windows Genuine Advantage

CurlyWhirly 22:53 12 Oct 05

I am wondering that since Microsoft launched it's WGA programme in July this year, whether it has actually decreased piracy and encouraged more people to go and buy a licensed copy of Windows XP?

Alternatively people could just be waiting for Vista when it is released next year?
Has Microsoft released any facts and figures as to whether WGA is a success or not?
I know that within a day or two of launch, a simple javascript 'hack' disabled it but this has now been put right.

Any comments?

CurlyWhirly 23:16 12 Oct 05

Just as a follow up I wonder how effective the anti-piracy measures are going to be with Vista?

I know that Microsoft are putting a lot of effort into security issues with Vista i.e. trying to make it less vulnerable to malware.

I wonder whether the same goes for anti-piracy measures as well?
Will WGA be carried over to Vista as well I wonder?

Forum Editor 23:21 12 Oct 05

It's very difficult to draw conclusions to be honest, because there's the 'what if' factor involved.

1. You release some software that's designed to help prevent problems.

2. Some months later the occurrence of these problems decreases.

Did it happen because you released the software, or would it have happened anyway, or was something else responsible?

On the other hand, perhaps the number of occurrences actually increases. Would the increase have been greater, had you not released the software, or has it made no difference?

It's just not possible to know for sure.

CurlyWhirly 23:32 12 Oct 05

The reason why I am asking is that I know 2 people in work who have now upgraded to a legal version of XP Home Edition.
They are both the retail versions as they didn't have a legit version to upgrade from in the first place!

Both had pirate copies of Windows ME, so my guess is that Microsoft will have clawed back *some* lost revenue!

p.s. I am very much looking forward to the Vista forum when it gets launched!

Mysticnas 23:35 12 Oct 05

As far as i've read Vista isn't too good when it comes to software or hardware.

Some issues regarding having to upgrade hardware so you can get it to work properly, not being able to do certain things that you take for granted with PC's like recording software, playing back certain codecs etc...

Clouded is the future of Vista....

CurlyWhirly 17:44 13 Oct 05

It's early days yet and I expect these software and hardware issues will be resolved before general release.

PaulB2005 17:48 13 Oct 05

"
Windows Genuine Advantage
[1]
CurlyWhirly Wed, 12.10.05 | 22:53
I am wondering that since Microsoft launched it's WGA programme in July this year, whether it has actually decreased piracy and encouraged more people to go and buy a licensed copy of Windows XP?
Alternatively people could just be waiting for Vista when it is released next year? Has Microsoft released any facts and figures as to whether WGA is a success or not? I know that within a day or two of launch, a simple javascript 'hack' disabled it but this has now been put right.

Any comments?

CurlyWhirly Wed, 12.10.05 | 23:16
Just as a follow up I wonder how effective the anti-piracy measures are going to be with Vista?
I know that Microsoft are putting a lot of effort into security issues with Vista i.e. trying to make it less vulnerable to malware.

I wonder whether the same goes for anti-piracy measures as well? Will WGA be carried over to Vista as well I wonder?

Forum Editor Wed, 12.10.05 | 23:21
You probably won't see figures from Microsoft....
It's very difficult to draw conclusions to be honest, because there's the 'what if' factor involved.
1. You release some software that's designed to help prevent problems.

2. Some months later the occurrence of these problems decreases.

Did it happen because you released the software, or would it have happened anyway, or was something else responsible?

On the other hand, perhaps the number of occurrences actually increases. Would the increase have been greater, had you not released the software, or has it made no difference?

It's just not possible to know for sure.

CurlyWhirly Wed, 12.10.05 | 23:32
Forum Editor
The reason why I am asking is that I know 2 people in work who have now upgraded to a legal version of XP Home Edition. They are both the retail versions as they didn't have a legit version to upgrade from in the first place!
Both had pirate copies of Windows ME, so my guess is that Microsoft will have clawed back *some* lost revenue!

p.s. I am very much looking forward to the Vista forum when it gets launched!

Mysticnas Wed, 12.10.05 | 23:35
Vista...
As far as i've read Vista isn't too good when it comes to software or hardware.
Some issues regarding having to upgrade hardware so you can get it to work properly, not being able to do certain things that you take for granted with PC's like recording software, playing back certain codecs etc...

Clouded is the future of Vista.... "

I'm sure people said the same about XP before it was released.....

PaulB2005 17:49 13 Oct 05

Eh? I only wanted to copy the last bit.....

"Some issues regarding having to upgrade hardware so you can get it to work properly, not being able to do certain things that you take for granted with PC's like recording software, playing back certain codecs etc...

Clouded is the future of Vista.... "

I'm sure people said the same about XP before it was released.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…