Windows 95 on floppy disks

Colin 13:36 21 Dec 06

We are in the process of moving offices and on emptying the store room, I came across four original boxes of Windows 95 on floppy disk. I don't know why we kept them, but it was probably to "keep them just in case". They seem really outdated as we've gone from floppies to CD's to DVD's and now XP & Office are installed centrally from our server. We'll probably be saying the same about Vista in 11 years time!

Diodorus Siculus 13:51 21 Dec 06

Only last week I found the same (along with a box of 3 disks for DOS 6.1 and 10 for Windows for Workgroups 3.11).

All been offered on FreeCycle and amazingly all three snapped up in a few minutes!

Colin 14:19 21 Dec 06

Thanks, Diodorus Siculus.

I've not heard of Freecycle. I've had a look at the site. I'll ask "The Man" if I can put them on it.

Diodorus Siculus 14:25 21 Dec 06

click here

Welcome to the UK Freecycle(R) Groups' Homepage

The worldwide Freecycle Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns.

Freecycle groups match people who have things they want to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of landfills. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process.
How does Freecycle work?

Everything posted must be free, legal and appropriate for all ages. When you want to OFFER something - whether it's a chair, fax machine, piano or an old door, simply send an email to your group.

Maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself? Post a WANTED message and a group member may just have what you're looking for. Alert the group with a follow-up RECEIVED email.

After that it is up to the giver to decide who receives the gift from the responses only they receive and to set up a collection time, and finally post an item TAKEN message.

Z1100 16:37 21 Dec 06

Wants... :P

Hanx!
K.

The Brigadier 17:06 21 Dec 06

A friend once at college was asked to put windows 95 on to a pc, he forgot to ask for it on cd, so yes he got it instead on floppy disk! The lesson was learnt, in future when asking for something make it clear what you want exactly!

Bob The Nob© 11:05 22 Dec 06

I could do with a win95 on floppy, I have an old laptop with only a floppy drive and so they would be useful. :)

Colin 18:46 22 Dec 06

Sorry, Bob. I asked around at work and they were all snapped up. I now know that there a a lot of people still with old PC's who can use these!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…