Wimbledon Thread

Si_L 02:31 21 Jun 09

Wimbledon starts tomorrow! (seeing as its the early hours of the morning!), and I can't wait.

Its a shame that Rafa Nadal has pulled out, as it rules out what would make another brilliant final if he and Federer made it through, however, with Nadal out, Murray effectively becomes the second seed, and you have to fancy his chances this time. He was poor last year in SW19, but since then his game has picked up massively, add to that he has just collected his first grass court trophy. If he meets Federer in the final I am confident he will win, against Federer he is the better player, but the question is, will he make it to the final?

As a big Murray fan I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a British win on the British slam.

Any thoughts on the tournament?

Quickbeam 07:51 21 Jun 09

Murry's air of arrogant confidence could just be what's needed for a Brit to win Wimbledon. Tim was too nice.

newman35 07:54 21 Jun 09

Yawn - have not watched since Billie Jean Moffit strutted her stuff. Different game then, cannot stand all the 'grunting' nowadays.
But everyone to their own.

Quickbeam 08:07 21 Jun 09

You won't be stocking up on any of this them... click here

BT 08:33 21 Jun 09

Can't remember the last time I saw anyone at Wimbledon actually drink any Barley water. Its all designer sports drinks these days. I can't think that Robinsons actually get any benefit from their sponsorship any more.

Quickbeam 08:46 21 Jun 09

An opportunity to relaunch Robinson's Lemon barley Water with a Hovis retro style nostalgic ad campaign laced with flashbacks of Fred Perry playing in his long flannels...?

Quickbeam 08:55 21 Jun 09

...or launch a new lemon barley water isotonic drink in a trendy squeezable bottle that will look just dandy for being seen with on Oxford Street shopping expeditions whilst traversing the Harvey nicks to the carpark couloir with full carrier bags...

Oh! Am I being cruel today?

Forum Editor 08:59 21 Jun 09

is dependent on the weather. If it's warm and dry I tend to get into the mood, but when rain causes the tournament to stop and start I lose interest. Two years ago I got superb seats for the mens' final, and sat right in front of the TV commentary box. That was certainly a day to remember.

My wife, on the other hand, will be glued to the TV at every available moment.

Forum Editor 09:02 21 Jun 09

"....a trendy squeezable bottle..."

Now there's an idea, it could be carried by all those people who suddenly feel compelled to walk around carrying tennis racquets, or go to the supermarket in tennis clothes. As soon as Wimbledon's over the racquets and clothes go back in the cupboard.

Cymro. 10:09 21 Jun 09

"My wife, on the other hand, will be glued to the TV at every available moment"

Yes same here. Not even a cup of tea to be had.
Mind you as someone who never liked sports it was her who got me interested in tennis so I now enjoy it almost as much as here.

What I don`t like is the way the British media will build Murry up as if he has a God given right to win the tournament.

jakimo 11:32 21 Jun 09

At least the new retractable roof on the centre court means no stop & start if it rains during the finals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…