"Will you sponsor me?".....

dagbladet 09:44 20 Jul 07

.....I was asked by a cricket loving work colleague this morning. "what are you going to do?" I asked, "play cricket", "but you play cricket every weekend, how's this different?", "it's for charity", "Okay, so are you playing for 24 hours, or are you holding the bat upside down or something?", "no just our normal Saturday game, everybody else has sponsored me".

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not aginst charity sponsorship per se. However, I like to see people push themselves a bit for my money.

BTW, as it's Friday I shall no doubt call in at the Dog and Duck on the way home as is my usual routine. This is generally followed by me walking to the D'n'D the following day to retrieve my car. Does anybody want to sponsor me................?

anskyber 09:59 20 Jul 07

No, but I might join you.

newman35 10:38 20 Jul 07

You drinkers give us sponsor-grabbers a bad name!!
Mines a pint, by the way.

Seth Haniel 10:53 20 Jul 07

I bet you fall for the TV phone ins where there are 99p admin costs and 1p going to the charity too

I think not
;0

dagbladet 11:31 20 Jul 07

I bet I don't.

wallbash 12:09 20 Jul 07

If he playing this weekend , would deseve the money .... he will get soaked! !!

Colin 12:18 20 Jul 07

Sponsoring people is similar to signing a petition. You just pay up/sign the form just to get rid of them.

Si_L 12:21 20 Jul 07

I would sponsor you if I had a job, or money.

dagbladet 12:25 20 Jul 07

Wallbash you've made a moot point. Were it the case that the rain got worse from the current 'downpour' to the forecast 'biblical' and they played their match anyway, fair enough that's worth a few quid. It is however just their normal Saturday match. Now if they've decided that it's for 'cheridee' fine, have a raffle, sell some cakes, whatever, but for those of us not attending (nor interested) to sponsor them to do enjoy their normal weekend entertainment?!?

Is it just me?

Si_L 12:31 20 Jul 07

Anything done for charity should not be bashed. However, its my opinion that you will get more people sponsoring an event if you are doing something different, or outrageous, or daring, rather that a game of cricket.

wallbash 13:40 20 Jul 07

Took a bit of time replying, as computer was switched off. Rain here was 'biblical'

Any player would need a canoe rather than a bat.
But I completely agree, sponsor those that do something different.

PS in my case that would be playing cricket( or football/rugby/running/walking etc )I rather watch paint dry.

PPS whose going to raise some cash for charity while I watch paint dry?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…