Will Opera Unite Change the Web?

Pesala 08:44 18 Jun 09

click here to learn more about Opera Unite.

Basically, it seems to be a file sharing method that lets you use your own PC as a server. I can send a URL and a password to my friends and let them access certain restricted folders on my PC, or I can host my website on my own PC and open it the public.

I suspect that it will be a few months before all is working as designed, but it does seem very simple to set up and use.

I think it will prove very useful for any collaborative projects.

interzone55 16:47 18 Jun 09

I can see ISPs will complain if people can use more bandwidth by hosting websites on their own PC.

I can also see copyright owners being worried, as you can now share music & videos without the need for P2P sites or software.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical...

Forum Editor 17:57 18 Jun 09

is like standing in the middle of a huge flat field as a big thunderstorm rolls in, waving a metal-shafted club in the air, and shouting 'come on then, come on!"

Quite apart from the horrendous security issues, you would need to run the machine 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, and if you had any kind of as successful site your ISP would be reaching for the bandwidth throttle control.

That said, Opera Unite has distinct possibilities in terms of collaborative working, but again I would be concerned about security. You can already run collaborative working sessions on a secure Microsoft server, and it works very well for business users. Opera Unite is primarily aimed at home users however, and there will be copyright concerns as people open up their machines to others for file-sharing.

It's early days, and I'll reserve judgement until I know a little bit more about the system. On the face of it Opera has come up with something pretty interesting, and I can see it enjoying a good deal of attention over the coming months.

Pesala 20:29 18 Jun 09

I don't envisage using it to host PC Advisor, but say your a Web developer and you want clients to preview their site design on your PC before uploading it to their domain, or you're making a family geneology site and want to share it with your relatives in Australia. Then the web server idea becomes much more realistic.

I haven't actually got it working yet, and I'm none too sure how much of it will work for those using other browsers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5