Will ISP's eventually abandon dial-up altogether?

CurlyWhirly 22:29 01 Aug 04

As more and more people are upgrading from dial-up to broadband do you think that ISP's will eventually abandon all dial-up packages altogether to cut costs?
I have read that BT will (hopefully) have 99.6% broadband coverage by summer 2005 so surely the dial-up market is shrinking fast!

I just can't believe the change as barely 2 years ago hardly anyone had broadband and BT thought that no-one was really interested in it so they brought out the registration scheme which has now been scrapped as finally BT have realised that there is sufficient interest in broadband after all!
Now nearly 40% of internet users use a broadband connection with over 2 million users in the UK as we speak!

What a turn around for BT as they are losing their telephone share of the market but luckily for them broadband has made up the shortfall with an article a few days ago saying that demand for high-speed broadband access has boosted BT's profits!
CW

JYPX 23:52 01 Aug 04

Depends how you define Broadband, but yes I can see a big decline in dial-up. Ntl have doubled the speed of their basic cable offer (upgrading was starting today) so 300k for 17.99 a month is not a bad deal in my opinion. Not fast enough for mega-downloading but perfectly adequate for general surfing.
As for BT....One of my work colleagues tells me he has a 2meg connection with BT. How on earth did they manage that? It only seems like 2 minutes since people were shaking their heads at the thought of achieving 512k via the BT network.

CurlyWhirly 00:04 02 Aug 04

JYPX

I wouldn't mind a 2Mb connection but I can't even get a 1Mb connection as I am on the limit of being able to get a 512k connection as I live around 5.5km from my local exchange!
I think I read somewhere that the BT Milton Keynes broadband trials are going well and they hope to extend the 512k threshold from 6km to around 10km.

There is even rumour that BT are trying to extend the threshold of the 1Mb and 2Mb services though I won't hold my breathe!
I think I will be stuck at 512k but it is still MUCH faster than dial-up of course.
I was hoping to upgrade to a faster service as for example when Microsoft release their Service Pack 2 it is going to take a while even on a standard broadband connection like mine!

Yes like you said £17.99 for a 300k service is not bad at all when you consider that when I had dial-up I was paying £15.99 for a 56k service!
My sister was on dial-up until a few days ago and since she has upgraded to broadband she finds that she is in the net a lot more now and would never go back to dial-up!
She upgraded as the 512k broadband service was only like £8 a month more than what she was paying on dial-up and this fact made me think and hence the reason why I have started this thread.
CW

norman47 00:14 02 Aug 04

I don't think ISP's will abandon dial up completely, certainly in the future they will be less ISP's offering this service. Not every one wants broadband, some are quite happy plodding away with a 56K connection on PAYG service. We could go back to the old days where the ISP collects 1p a minute on top of the charge to BT for those who still want to use 56K.

JYPX

Those using a 2Mb connection can expect constant downloads of 140 to 175Kbps, my service has been upgraded to 4Mb and large downloads go between 280 and 350Kbps. When service pack 2 does arrive then it will be downloaded in minutes. As downloads get larger the need for a faster connection will increase. The cost for this service is £12 more than the NTL basic cable offer, but it offers a service more than 10X faster.

Now where have I heard that before?

CurlyWhirly 00:21 02 Aug 04

Those using a 2Mb connection can expect constant downloads of 140 to 175Kbps, my service has been upgraded to 4Mb and large downloads go between 280 and 350Kbps. When service pack 2 does arrive then it will be downloaded in minutes. As downloads get larger the need for a faster connection will increase.

Lucky you with a 4Mb speed service gosh 8 times faster than mine!
You must be on cable?
I wish there was cable in my area.
Like you said with downloads getting larger all the time in a few years my 512k connection will seem just as slow as dial-up!
CW

JYPX 10:24 02 Aug 04

norman47, 4 meg on NTL? Please tell me more. Is that on a business tarrif? There is no mention of 4 meg on ntlworld.com. Fastest is 1 meg - changing to 1.5 meg just about now.

Rigga 11:25 02 Aug 04

BBC News online click here
ADSL2 upto 24mbps if you're close enough. ;-]

R.

norman47 12:41 02 Aug 04

Sorry not with NTL and not on cable. What I said was my service is only £12 more than NTL. sorry if there was confusion.

What we do have is the capability to push it to 54Mbps, or so the engineer says.

CurlyWhirly 12:47 02 Aug 04

What we do have is the capability to push it to 54Mbps, or so the engineer says.

As much as I would like to go faster say to a 1Mb or 2Mb speed, is 54Mbps really needed?
I mean this to me seems like overkill?
That is 108 times faster than what I have now!
Perhaps in say 10 years time but I can't see the point can you?
CW

Dave_Dave 20:23 02 Aug 04

I hope ISP's do not get rid of Dial up totally as when BT broadband crashed in my area for a few days I had to resort to dial up to retrieve my emails.

CurlyWhirly 23:37 02 Aug 04

Dave_Dave

That is a good point about you being able to retrieve your e-mails when something goes wrong with broadband but the only downside is you pay per minute on dial-up!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…