will eire follow iceland

sunny staines 13:59 25 Oct 08

click here

Irelands gdp looking shaky will it follow iceland in not being able to prop its banks or cover all deposits.

Forum Editor 14:31 25 Oct 08

and Ireland is deficient in diversity. The country is already in recession, and things do not look great.

lofty29 14:45 25 Oct 08

Eire expanded to a great extent from handouts from the EU, this greatly kickstarted the economy,most of that funding has now ended and the irish economy has been left to its own devices at the worst possible time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:13 25 Oct 08

In a nutshell, they are right royally screwed.

G

newman35 15:22 25 Oct 08

"In a nutshell, they are right royally screwed."

But then, aren't we all??

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:44 25 Oct 08

click here Yes.

G

kev d 18:06 25 Oct 08

Yes FE you are right but how can a country the size of Ireland be anything else? Have a look at other countries e.g. the US and the UK. They are both rich in diversity but are also heading into recession. I therefore do not agree that the key to economic survival is diversity. The key is a healthy global economy because the bottom line is every country needs trading partners. It's not much use having a very diverse economy if you have no customers.

Condom 01:26 26 Oct 08

Not everywhere in Ireland can be suffering as my wife has had at least 4 phone calls this past week asking her to go there to work (she is from Dublin originally. Each time she says no the anti (€)is increased.

CurlyWhirly 07:15 26 Oct 08

The trouble with the UK economy is that our decade of growth has been fuelled by consumer debt and inflated house prices and now the bubble has burst.

What doesn't help is that the government already has a large fiscal deficit and we haven't officially entered recession yet as this is defined as 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth.

This quarter GDP fell by 0.5% but the previous quarter recorded that the economy never grew but it didn't shrink either so it doesn't count.

lofty29
"Eire expanded to a great extent from handouts from the EU, this greatly kickstarted the economy,most of that funding has now ended"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not surprised as the EU must be furious with them for killing off the Lisbon Treaty!

Forum Editor 10:56 26 Oct 08

"It's not much use having a very diverse economy if you have no customers."

I couldn't agree more, but a diverse economy has a far better chance of attracting customers, for obvious reasons.

lofty29 11:50 26 Oct 08

CurlyWhirly
The funding was coming to an end before the treaty vote, there was a suggestion that with the last expansion that Eire would end up being a contributor instead of a recipient of EU funds. I tend to use EIRE so as to avoid any confusion with NI.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac