Wildlife in the suburbs.

Forum Editor 23:14 05 Nov 10

There we all were, the family gathered for an evening of fireworks in the garden, sausage and mash to keep us warm, the British weather tipping a steady drizzle over us.

The evening ended, everyone went home, leaving my wife and I to clear up. Finally climbing the stairs my wife sniffed the air - 'can you smell something?'

All I could smell was my smoke permeated clothes, and then suddenly it hit me, an awful, pungent aroma. We couldn't work it out, standing there on the landing, until suddenly we both saw a movement, and there it was - a fully grown fox was standing not five feet away in our bedroom doorway, looking at us. My wife shrieked, the fox made a dash for it, and so started a fifteen minute chase around the house - the fox frantically looking for a way out, and me trying to get past it to open first the kitchen, and then the back door. At one point the animal was running back and forth along the top of the kitchen wall cupboards.

I finally got the fox out into the garden, my wife upstairs to bed - sheets and everything else changed, because she said she was sure it had been on the bed, and here I am. There's a faint whiff of scared fox in the air, but otherwise all is calm.

lotvic 23:43 05 Nov 10

That is scary, remember the twin babies in London that were attacked in their bedroom, they were lucky to survive click here

Forum Editor 00:28 06 Nov 10

attacking us was the last thing on its mind - it just wanted to get away from us. As I write,the house is quiet, my wife is asleep, and the fox is outside, doing what foxes do.

Quickbeam 00:29 06 Nov 10

Must've bin the red pyjamas mistaken for a hunting coat that frightened it...

rdave13 00:40 06 Nov 10

Must have been a time when 'FOX HUNTING' was there for a purpose.
Possibly that the animal is a scavenger and not to be pitied?
Who knows as we've all heard of children being savaged by foxes.

Forum Editor 01:16 06 Nov 10

was probably all of us being in the garden, letting off fireworks. It obviously ran in through the open back door, and made its way upstairs.

cycoze 01:18 06 Nov 10

I wonder if it was just trying to hide from the fireworks, caught away from it's den so seeking somewhere safe, can only imagine it was as surprised as you both were.

Sounds like a bit of a clean up is on the cards for the morning, hope you get a good night now.

Forum Editor 01:39 06 Nov 10

I'm sure you're right. The fox was obviously frightened, it jumped up onto the kitchen worktop, and from there it jumped onto the top of the wall cupboards,and ran back and forth in agitation.

I gave it some space, opened the back door, and watched it. After staring at me for a few moments it jumped down, and ran outside. It made no sound throughout, but I could see it was pretty scared.

The whole house smells slightly of scared fox - it's a very distinctive odour, to put it mildly.

sunnystaines 06:16 06 Nov 10

fe

time to sell your mansion in the suburbs and move to an inner city flat in a high rise, they do not suffer foxes.

wiz-king 07:15 06 Nov 10

A disabled lady near her had a zig-zag cat run built on the side of a house so that her cat could go in and out of its own cat door on a third floor balcony and she have a visit from one of the local foxes.

FE- you can now expect a daily sniff patrol at the slightest sound and the household cleaning stuff bill will go through the roof 'eau de reynard' lingers.

natdoor 08:37 06 Nov 10

Since you have foxes encamped under your shed, might I suggest that it is unwise to leave the backdoor open while the house is unoccupied for a period of time?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac