Wild Birds

Marko797 13:52 27 Dec 08

I must confess to being a bit of a 'twitcher' and have loved birds since being young. I sometimes marvel at the wide variety of birds which we get visiting us in the garden, and how beautiful they are.

We get the normal blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows, robins, magpies, wood pigeons, collared doves etc, as most ppl do, but sometimes we do get 'rarities' dropping in which we don't see too often.

For example this past year we've had; greenfinches, long tailed tits, wrens, pied wagtails, goldfinches, and what I can only presume to be a 'lost' heron.

On one occasion we had a large hawk (not sure which type) in the garden. It had pinned down a blackbird, but the wife didn't like that too much.

Recently on a local walk by a river we saw the spectacular Kingfisher.

Yesterday we went out walking around a local reservoir and, for the first time ever, I saw 2 Nuthatches, which really made my day.

Anyone else into the feathered friends?

Coffee Adict 14:22 27 Dec 08

I've got a Robin eating me out of house and home, may have to start ordering in bulk on line.:o)

I too have seen long tailed tits for the first time in my garden this year, maybe they had a good breeding season this year, I believe goldfinches did.

sunnystaines 14:50 27 Dec 08

we live by the thames and near several large reservoirs and get a large selection of wild birds perhaps bill oddy might bring his show down this way.

he can film
white & black swans
kingfishers
cormarants
woodpeckers green and spotted
various tits and finches
herons
sparrow hawks [they eat pidgeons round here]
gulls & terns
crows these are always chasing gulls.
wrens
various ducks

Marko797 15:13 27 Dec 08

from a small semi which had a quite a large & well maintained pond in front, with all the houses arranged in a circular fashion around it.

We had the run of the mill Mallards, Coots & Moorhens as residents, but one year 2 pairs of Canada geese decided to nest there. They produced (btwn them) about 10 chicks. It was an absolute delight watching them develop from small chicks, (who came thru the pond railings with their parents onto the pavement area eating/nibbling at the grass on the verge), to gradually reaching a size whereby they couldn't fit thru.

Watching the parents give flying lessons to their off-spring was amazing (but noisy)!

spuds 17:29 27 Dec 08

We have a fair selection of birds and minor type wildlife on daily visits for food and drink.

But two years ago we lost some nesting blue tits (adults and young), and seeking further advice, we found out that it was the sparrows who were the killer culprits. So if you have blue tit boxes, make sure the entrance holes have not been enlarged over time, so making easy access for sparrows.

Brumas 17:49 27 Dec 08

We are lucky in that we have a burn running down the bottom of the garden and, as we are the middle of three bungalows all our gardens are secluded, making it the avian equivalent of Piccadilly Circus (numbers and variety wise)

Last year wrens and robins nested in places which looked the most unusual places which to human eyes looked rather uncomfortable but hey, they know what they are doing.

The only downside was that the neighbour's cat rifled the nest, situated between two paint pots in an open fronted car port, which led me to come up with my brilliant 'cat deterrent - mark 1'

I trimmed two or three smallish branches from my monkey puzzle tree and barricaded the nesting area 'Swiss Family Robinson' style, leaving small access holes (in both the barricade and my fingers - they are bloomin. SHARP)

So far all remains untouched so fingers crossed!

mrwoowoo 18:51 27 Dec 08

This year i sat and watched five blue tit chicks emerge from our bird box.
Last year they had six chicks that all died.I put it down to them being fed nuts from our neighbours feeder,so i asked her to stop putting them out whilst the tits were breeding.
So nice to get a successful hatch and to see it all unfold.

Stuartli 21:44 27 Dec 08

Green finches, gold finches, blue tits, pied wagtails, sparrows, blackbirds etc are regular visitors to our garden - I suspect that, apart from our bird table and fresh water, much of the reason is due to a considerable number of trees and conifers in the area providing plenty of shelter and security.

But I don't like magpies very much for their nasty habits...:-)

Macscouse 22:12 27 Dec 08

I live on the bank of a highland river, at the edge of the town. Last Monday, there were 4 types of tit on the one nut feeder, coal, blue, great, and long-tailed. Rare sight. There are lots of all the tits this year, and the greenfinches have thrived here. Magpies are few and far, and tend to stay out in the farmland. A pair of woodpeckers visit each day, along with treecreepers, chaffinches, dunnock, and of course the ASBO of the garden, the robin, who attacks anything within a metre range. Squirrels say hello daily as they steal from the bird feeders. Ain't nature grand?

Forum Editor 22:20 27 Dec 08

we're currently playing host to groups of Himalayan ring-necked parakeets, and they tend to dominate the scene early in the morning, as they come swooping through, looking for seeds and berries.

Lots of other birds get a look in throughout the day, including Herons - who come to go fishing in the pond. We have Robins, wrens, and all the usual London garden birds, and very occasionally a Sparrowhawk looking for voles etc.

bluto1 22:48 27 Dec 08

It's a joy to read of all of your happiness at receiving these birds in your gardens. We've only got a wren and a couple of robins visiting at the moment, and the feedbags are always full. Last Saturday we found that there was a sparrow hawk in our little area, and assume that he's the cause of our loss of winter birds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…