Wikipedia blackout

interzone55 11:31 18 Jan 12

How on earth are lazy journalists going to research their stories without Wikipedia?

Perhaps Thursday's papers will be a little more accurate if the stories have had to be researched from sources that are not quite so easy to maliciously amend...

spuds 11:47 18 Jan 12

Apparently it is only the UK website that is being blacked-out. Other country Wiki websites are still active.

More on that story, but the link might not work, due to PCA and the under dashes?. click here

Al94 11:48 18 Jan 12

Mobile site is working normally.

spuds 11:49 18 Jan 12

The link didn't work. There should be under dashes between SOPAinitiative/ Learnmore

(Note from Forum Editor: It didn't work because it wasn't posted correctly. I've rectified the problem now - see my post below. FE)

interzone55 12:19 18 Jan 12

It's the English language site en.wikipedia.org, not the UK site.

They've taken the site down today in protest against a new US law, so it would be odd to just remove the UK site...

lotvic 13:27 18 Jan 12

spuds link to information on the Wikipedia blackout ClickHere

lotvic 13:32 18 Jan 12

You can view Wikipedia normally by completely disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page ClickHere

spuds 13:34 18 Jan 12

lotvic. How do you do that. Every time I try any link with the 'under-dash', it doesn't work on this site. I notice that your link is the same as mine?.

carver 14:26 18 Jan 12

How would you feel if this sort of thing happened every few days to web pages that you normally view because some one in America had suggested it hosted US anti-piracy legislation.

Forum Editor 17:55 18 Jan 12

spuds

"the link might not work, due to PCA and the under dashes?."

The underscores aren't the problem, you didn't post the link properly. I've sorted it out for you. You can't just post a link into the text box, you need to click on the small green link button in the format bar at the top of the box.

Paste your link into that, and then enter any descriptive words into the brackets in place of the words 'enter link description here'. Do that and your links will work.

lotvic 18:01 18 Jan 12

spuds, Copy the URL to your Clipboard

Type the words ClickHere

select (highlight the words ClickHere or any other words you want to change into a link)

with the words highlighted Click on the 'Blue Globe with green arrow'

in the box that pops up Paste your URL in (make sure there is only one http:// at the front, so delete the one that's already there if your url has got one as well)

Test your 'link' in the preview box if you want to.

That's it.

PS. if you take note of how it is displayed with the 1 etc etc you will know what to manually type in to change words into a link, should you ever want to.... ;)

Just for fun, You can practise all you want and test them out in the preview box. Just don't go so far as to 'POST' them into a thread. Instead, Delete your text when finished playing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…