why use the dollar sign on Microsoft?

SG Atlantis® 18:13 13 Jan 06

M$

Is it a mockery of the company because it's made huge profits? So why mock a company if it's a success?

It's a daft and petty idea to me but anyway, what's your views?

powerless 18:18 13 Jan 06

Seconded.

bremner 18:41 13 Jan 06

Totally agree

octal 18:46 13 Jan 06

Quite!

SG Atlantis® 19:17 13 Jan 06

and windoze, wimpdoze and any other variation of the same?

octal 19:22 13 Jan 06

Its seems to be the Linux aficionado's that tend to use those acronyms, even though I use Linux I don't use them any more.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:03 13 Jan 06

ade.h 20:50 13 Jan 06

I'd never really thought about it, but I'm inclined to agree.

A bit of petty jealousy, I reckon!

VoG II 21:15 13 Jan 06

I don't use it but as the company is worth billion$ why not?

I've never had any gripe about MS products (except ME) but some people do.

octal 21:46 13 Jan 06

That's an interesting comment "A bit of petty jealousy, I reckon!" Why would that equate to using words like M$, windoze and wimpdoze? I'm not sure what they have to be jealous of, considering most users of Linux dual boot with one of the Windows products.

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but I have seen that comment before and would be interested to know the reason why you think they are jealous?

It might have some bearing on why those words are used.

ade.h 22:40 13 Jan 06

By "they" do you mean Linux users?

Because I wasn't referring to them - and I was one of them for a while.

I'm referring to the general feeling of resentment that some people - not forum member specifically, just a general minority - seem to harbour for Microsoft's, and in particular Bill Gates', huge success and market dominance.

As I'm sure you can tell from the tone of my posts, I don't feel this way. But some people do tend to and I interpret the use of the dollar sign as a slightly jealous nod to Gates' wealth.

At £150 or so for a full copy of XP Home, I see it as good value product - I've sometimes had to pay more than that for individual applications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac