Why is a TITLE compulsory?

pj123 15:58 23 Sep 05

Quite often, when filling in registration/forms/names etc.. it asks for a Title which is compulsory? Even PC Advisor does it. I have just entered a PCA competition and I have to fill in a Title. I don't have a Title, only a name. Obviously, in this case, I can't enter the competition without a title.

If I can't get past that bit without a title I usually put something like: Rev, Lord or The Right Honourable or something silly like that. I could even put Miss and it would be accepted, so what is the significance of that?

Ancient Learner 16:49 23 Sep 05

It's like when you put your Christian name in, as say, Albert, and then they ask for the gender! It's all to make life that little more difficult than it need be,

wiz-king 16:57 23 Sep 05

Why when you have put in a title do most of them still give you a 'Gender' box, I would have though that Mr, Sir, Miss is enough to make a reasonable guess as to the sex of the person.

pj123 17:31 23 Sep 05

Agree with you both, Ancient Learner, and wiz-king but don't forget John Wayne real name was Marion Morrison. What does that tell you?

pj123 17:37 23 Sep 05

And "Big Daddy" professional wrestler real name Shirley Crabtree.

bremner 17:51 23 Sep 05

I would assume the reason for a title and gender is for demographic statistics.

Kim Smith could be male or female.

Dr Kim Smith could be still be a man or woman

Dr Kim Smith - male denotes sex and status.

Then the company / site can draw up a demographic picture of their audience/readership. This helps in directing their business.

pj123 of course you have a title - at the least it is Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms

Diemmess 18:12 23 Sep 05

Long ago in the days of DOS I updated a Reverend gentleman to his newly acquired title Canon.

He was very caustic when he received a reminder addressed to Cano John Smith. A sense of humour he did not have.

Forum Editor 18:37 23 Sep 05

and whilst there are exceptions to the rule, most people have, and use a title - Mr. Ms. Mrs., or whatever. If I write a business letter it helps to be able to address it to Mr. K. Smith or Ms. K.Smith etc., or to Dr. Smith.

Like many things in life, it's one of those little niceties that helps to distinguish between a sophisticated society and the other kind, and as bremner suggests, it does does help with demographics - as does the gender distinction.

blanco 18:46 23 Sep 05

by public service bodies.

I have often found the name below an undecypherable signatore as J Smith,

VoG II 19:19 23 Sep 05

I think that the inclusion of titles is very helpful.

I would hope that my first name (Peter) would enable almost anyone, anywhere, to deduce my gender.

At work I frequently receive e-mails from abroad with the name but no title - example Gullvy Hellenberg. How do you reply to this? - 'Dear Gullvy' might seem a trifle familiar.

In this situation I tend to reply to Dr Whatever but that could cause upset if they are actually a Professor.

I did find out that Gullvy is a female when I met her. Before the meeting I had no idea.

jack 19:45 23 Sep 05

As this discussion is more about titles than web form construction, How about this.
Various indivuduals of note, when discussed in the media seem to aquire titles. This is not to say they are not entitled to use them or be accorded them
but are variously reported as in the current US secretary of state lady Condalisa Rice and now Dr C Rice, I was always amused to how the Ulster politian Ian Paisley is when reported variously -Dr, The Rev Mr . or MP
Who decides when or where to apply a title?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…