Why problems for some?

colberly 13:05 11 Mar 05

When updating or downloading some products I wonder why some seem to have major problems and others don't. I must be very lucky since 'touch wood' all updates and downloads seem to function as they should. Ok occasionally there are fluctuations in the speed or hitches due to the numbers attempting to download at the same time, but eventually everything runs as clockwork.

BRYNIT 17:38 11 Mar 05

I could be wrong but i think some people do not read the instructions b4 installing or down loading products or updates.

ade.h 18:49 11 Mar 05

Yes, sometimes it's down to RTFM or PIBCAK faults. More often than not, it's down to the huge variations in system hardware and software configurations. CCleaner won't install on my PC, no matter what I try, but I know it's not a dodgy product, because it's in widespread use, so it's probably a clash with existing software.

ade.h 18:51 11 Mar 05

For the uninitiated:

RTFM = Read The Flaming Manual

PIBCAK = Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard

Dan the Confused 19:01 11 Mar 05

Some people just seem to get more problems than others, just look at the helproom. I very rarely suffer with any problems with mine and I put it down to a regular housekeeping routine I do once a week(ish).

ade.h 19:17 11 Mar 05

I get away lightly, too. Though I do suffer the odd PIBCAK failure when the other half is using my PC!

stalion 19:36 11 Mar 05

what, hoovering,dusting and washing up etc

Dan the Confused 19:53 11 Mar 05

Now you come to mention it - I might try that too! :)

S5W 20:24 11 Mar 05

I very rarely have problems. I put this down to my ignorance of computering. For example if a download tells me to close all other programmes that is exactly what I do, likewise if I am instructed to restart now. Ignorance is bliss.
In my previous existence when I was an 'expert' I would frequently ignore received wisdom to prove my engineering superiority. It took me a long time to learn my limitations. But every minute was exhilirating, aint youth wonderful?

Bapou 21:47 11 Mar 05

I rarely have problems too which is why I spend so much time on these forums reading of others having trouble, storing answers just in case.

A pal, whose son, "knows all there is to know about computers", usually ends up with more problems than a hospital bed pan after the lad has "helped out".

Thankfully my sons know nothing about computers.

Totally-braindead 23:47 12 Mar 05

I've seen this quite a few times. A friend will phone me with a computer problem after he/she installed something and the first thing I ask is are there instructions and are you following them exactly. Yes they always reply. Well guess what. I wander over to their house look at the item in question, check and follow the instructions and voila it works perfectly( so far anyway ). The look of total astonishment on their face is a site to behold. I just look at them, shake my head and leave, muttering usually, behind me I hear the words I don't understand that I did the same thing and it didn't work for me. Honest I followed the instructions exactly. Right, of course you did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced