Why not do this more often?

Bingalau 13:17 02 Feb 09

Because it seems like a good result to me..

Police arrest 203 in crime purge
More than 6,000 people were stopped by police during a campaign which focussed on the transport network in Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire and North Wales.

Officers involved in the operation were targeting buses, trains, major roads and motorways, seaports and Liverpool John Lennon airport.

A total of 6,614 people were stopped with 270 of those searched and 203 arrested for a variety of offences.

Around 1,890 cars were pulled over and 71 were seized.

'Neighbouring forces'

The crackdown took place on Friday.

Assistant Chief Constable Simon Byrne, of Merseyside Police, said: "This operation was part of our Total War on Crime campaign and designed to disrupt criminals' lives as much as possible.

"We focused on the transport system because restricting a criminal's ability to travel is a very effective way of reducing their ability to commit crime.

"Anti-social behaviour on the bus and railway network is also unacceptable and we are sending a clear message that it will not be tolerated.

"By working together with our neighbouring forces and the roads, railways and maritime police we can achieve results and cast an even wider net over the region's criminals."

The forces involved in the operation on Friday and Saturday were Merseyside, Lancashire, North Wales, Cheshire, British Transport Police, Mersey Tunnels Police, the Port of Liverpool Police and the North West Regional Motorway Policing Group.

Forum Editor 13:26 02 Feb 09

Because it costs a fortune, and Police services don't have the budget for it.

Clapton is God 13:46 02 Feb 09

"designed to disrupt criminals' lives as much as possible"

And what about all the innocent/non-criminal people whose lives were also disrupted?

Sounds like 'Big Brother' gone mad, to me.

Condom 13:58 02 Feb 09

This happens regularily in Bangkok especially with taxis, motorbikes and tuk tuks as many are not roadworthy, taxed or being driven by the licenced taxi owner as taxis are kept on the road 24 hours if at all possible.

The funny thing is if a taxi is pulled over and has a farang (foreign) passenger then the police wave them on again as the don't want tourists to be penalised.

The first time this happened to me the taxi driver was clearly breaking the law in some manner or other and was so greatful to me I got a free ride.

The first time I was involved in a minor brush with a motorbike which saw the rider land on our roof the Police when they arrived quickly got me out of the taxi and into another one with no fare changing hands. This seemed a little harsh as I was nearly at my destination and I could have told the police it was not the taxis driver's fault.

birdface 14:30 02 Feb 09

Not knowing a lot about the subject.I would imagine that most of those arrested would be for motoring offenses No Insurance And Tax Etc.Does the DVLA actually pay anything towards the cost off apprehending people suspected of driving without Road Tax.Or is it down to the local Councils to pay for it as I am led to believe.

crosstrainer 14:34 02 Feb 09

The DVLA contibutes to the coffers of HMG by various means. It holds a yearly auction of number plates, which raises millions. This money goes to the government, but I doubt that they plough it back into crime prevention.

birdface 17:07 02 Feb 09

I was led to believe that every council had to pay for their local Police Force.Meaning that we basically have to pay for them through the rates that we pay.[The DVLA contributes to the coffers of HMG by various means]Which means they do not pay anything to the local councils that have to pay the Police wages.Like I say I am probably wrong with this but if I am correct why should we pay to have the Police do the work for the DVLA Without them having to pay any Council for doing so.Maybe some of the police force gets paid by the Government direct I don't know.Just interested in how it works.

Pine Man 17:14 02 Feb 09

Half by the local County Council and half by Central Government.

It is not normal to arrest for motoring offences unless really serious so those arrests listed would more than likely have been for criminal offences.

These sort of events are multi-agency approaches involving various organisations and each funding its own input.

birdface 18:09 02 Feb 09

Thank you Pine Man for the information at least I know how it works now.

laurie53 20:03 02 Feb 09

I can remember being on a tram in Vienna when suddenly half a dozen passengers stood up, pulled identity badges from their pockets and started checking tickets.

The two they caught were immediately arrested and carted off.

One of them was a girl of about thirteen.

No public outcry, no outraged passengers, the law had been broken, she had been caught, the law took its course.

Bingalau 22:04 02 Feb 09

There are an awful lot of unlicensed vehicles on our roads and it is about time it was stopped. I don't care who pays the police or who else is inconvenienced by being stopped. It should be done more often. The people travelling by bus and train are not so much inconvenienced anyway. As long as you are not breaking the law it is no big deal. If it means a little disruption in our lives then "so be it".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos