Why is it 'OK' to nick software?

day2strike 16:35 07 Jul 08

What's the difference between ripping software and shoplifting? None. Yet millions of us twist the arguments and kid ourselves we are not hardened criminals.

click here

spuds 16:58 07 Jul 08

Software Alliance: Nine out of ten on auction sites are pirate!.

Will the last one out, turn the lights off.

Kemistri 17:00 07 Jul 08

You and Raj Persaud would get on well: you both copy other people's words verbatim without attribution.

Ironic snafu aside, I agree with the sentiment of your post and the article.

mrwoowoo 17:14 07 Jul 08

"Nine out of ten on auction sites are pirate!"
If that statement includes games,then it's a load of twaddle. I've bought loads of pc games from E-bay and still do.Not once have i seen a pirate copy,altough i do mainly stick to one or two trusted sources now.But up until the quite recent past,my source was quite varied.
Can't comment about other types of software though.

DieSse 17:15 07 Jul 08

"Ripping" software is an offence. But it isn't legally the same type of offence as shoplifting, so there is actually a difference (though not a moral difference, perhaps).

With shoplifting you permanently deprive someone of actual goods.

With ripping (or whatever you call it) you don't deprive anyone of actual goods - you infringe their copyright.

There's plenty of genuinely free software - so there's no sensible reason to illegally copy it. You can set up a PC from scratch with 100% useable free software - so why rip anybody off?

If you don't like what software vendors charge - get free software, and be morally superior! And perhaps a better system less prone to malware into the bargain.

Forum Editor 17:15 07 Jul 08

that Memmbers of the European Parliament vote on what's been referred to as "The Telecom packet". The new proposals contain laws to curb file-sharing activities, and specifically to operate a 'three strikes and out" system whereby people who ignored three warnings about their illegal file-sharing activities would be prevented from having access to the internet.

Kemistri 17:27 07 Jul 08

Broadly speaking, I hope that it goes through if that's what it takes. I have little sympathy for those who illegally distribute and/or download copyrighted material. It's a pity, though, that it has come down to more legislation and will it really achieve its aim? I can see it causing an increase in illegal network usage unless/until every wifi user wises up and secures it properly, as banned users give up on the idea of paying for their own access.

crosstrainer 17:37 07 Jul 08

More money than I can count over the last 25 years on software, I hope that those who choose to steal it receive their just desserts.

mrwoowoo 17:49 07 Jul 08

I don't know the answer,but i do know this.
The mass pirateers will have a field day.All the extra customers waiting to buy pirate copies would go through the roof.People who download games are obviously not willing to pay the market price and will still sniff out a cheap alternative source. When you stop illegal downloading you really need to address the production of pirated hardware copies as well.
How? I don't know,but anyone can copy a game and flog it at work,on the net or at boot fairs.
I imagine a small no cd/dvd crack to play them would still be easily available on the web or easily included on the game disc.
Unless game discs are made copy proof(again i don't know how)it will just mean more money for the bootleggers.

crosstrainer 17:54 07 Jul 08

Many games are copy proof (allegedly) Macrovison protection has been with us for years, but as you say, ways around it have been found.

There will always be pirated software (China has a huge problem with it)

But any way of reducing the flood of illegal downloading gets my vote.

mrwoowoo 18:08 07 Jul 08

My logic leads me deduce that if you can download a game from the net,then it can be put on disc.
Not sure about how easy backing up an owned game to disc is though, as i've never tried it.
I did copy a dvd film that my friend lent me once for the boys*head lowers* in shame*Monsters inc it was.With DVD shrink it was very straight forward,so i wonder if games are that easy/
Mind you,when i get around to paying about £26.00 for Alone in the dark and it does turn out to be a bit of a crock,i'll be saying viva la bootleggers. (O:!
Oh and i will have to pretend it's good,otherwise Mrs woowoo will give it some.£26.00 for that and you don't even like it,Blah,Blah,Blah,nag,nag,nag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…