Why is it that my local library

ronalddonald 16:21 21 Feb 09

the staff at Pinner Library in Pinner are to pig headed and very stubborn in their ways.

Ten minutes ago i donated some of my books about 8 of them all of them in good condition. Two of them were rejected, due to a little scratch due to little tear ive noticed the staff there are too lazy too help too lazy.

No ive rebuked them i feel happy i know there will be people who have a different experinece but believe me when i go to the libray in North Harrow the staff and people are lot more pleasant. Basically today i thought i do a little experiment to see which is better and i have to admit North Harrow is better far more better than the silly library in Pinner. I always seem to have problems at pinner library and i wonder if it should be shut down becasue my tax money is wasted away.

The arrgance and pig headedness of the staff at pinner libray ive glad ive got this off my chest coz i had too.

crosstrainer 16:25 21 Feb 09

Not well up on donating to librays, but tend to give mine to local charity organisations.

Is Rayner's Lane still the same (goes back 30 odd years :))

Belatucadrus 16:43 21 Feb 09

I once gave some books to our local library and was somewhat disappointed by the way they were treated. When they buy books in, they protect them with clear sleeves or that adhesive film. Books they receive as gifts just get lobbed on the rack as received and usually disintegrate within a few weeks after being well and truly mauled by some truly cack handed readers. I came to the conclusion that they hadn't appreciated the donation, so I didn't repeat the exercise. Next time I have a clear out, I'm off to Haye on Wye.

spuds 18:02 21 Feb 09

Our local libraries do not accept 'gift' books, and most of the local charities have stopped also.Apparently its to much trouble regarding storage for them. In fact, our local library often have clear-outs, selling various types of books at 10pence each or a carry bag full for a pound.

dfh 18:02 21 Feb 09

I know someone that works at North Harrow Library and they will be very pleased to know of your views, the next time I see them.

Brumas 23:16 21 Feb 09

I always take the books we no longer want to Barters click here where they credit them to our 'account' which always hovers around the £30 or £40 mark. Having said that we inevitably choose half a dozen books whilst we are there, thus keeping a the level at a decent level. We also generally enjoy a cup of tea in front of the roaring fire - bliss!

I realise that you are a million miles from Barters but haven't you anything similar down your neck of the woods?

cream. 23:29 21 Feb 09

click here As long as they are in a decent condition.

I also buy all my used books from them.

Ranger 06:30 22 Feb 09

I'm afaraid any paperback I read coudn't be given to any local charity as I like nothing better than lying back in a radox bath with a good book as you can probably imagine the pages do get a little soggy at times meaning the book dosen't look that great after it's been read, they do get passed on to my dad though

Pine Man 08:40 22 Feb 09

..my local library has started having sing-songs in the afternoon.

I went into the library and couldn't move for prams and pushchairs. In the centre of the library, sitting on the floor in a circle were about thirty adults holding babies of upto about 3 moths old. They, the parents, were singing childrens songs and did so for about an hour.

I queried this with the staff and was told it happened every week and was for babies up to 6 months old and their parents. When I asked why it had to happen in a library where people go to read or do some research they accused me of being a Meldrew, or words to the effect!

Forum Editor 09:57 22 Feb 09

When my children were small I never felt the need to sit around with a lot of other parents and sing to the kids - we just used to do it at home.

The children all seem to have managed to reach adulthood without exhibiting any signs of being dysfunctional as a result of being deprived of library singing, although my youngest daughter occasionally bursts into a lively rendering of "If you're happy and you know it"

She soon calms down, though.

robgf 11:41 22 Feb 09

"..my local library has started having sing-songs in the afternoon".

I can beat that, lol. Every now and then, my library has a "fry up". They set up large things a bit like woks and cook stuff inside, with no ventalation, the place smells for weeks afterwood.
It's some sort of religious festival (no idea what) and the kids make pictures out of food. It's all very jolly, but a bit annoying if you want a quiet place to read.

I wouldn't want libraries to return to how they were when I was a child, where you were scared to breath. But they do seem to have swung rather too far the other way.

And what is this idea of selling books. The amount of books available to borrow reduces every year, yet still they regularly sell off perfectly good books every few months.
Mind you, I have got a great collection of hardback gardening books for a pound each, that I could never have afforded otherwise, so "every cloud" etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant