Why have a security code on a card?

Z1100 12:11 27 Mar 07

I just paid for my hosting with an on-line payment. During the transaction you are asked for the 3 digit security code. What good is that if 'the thief' has cloned your card or stolen it.

If I was cloning cards (an not petrified of the consequences) I would be taking a note of that number so how does it protect me?

Hanx!
K.

Stuartli 15:23 27 Mar 07

But if someone has acquired your card number, but not the card, it cannot be used to order goods online unless the three-figure security code is provided.

Many firms will also only deliver to the cardholder's address.

spuds 15:36 27 Mar 07

You may also find that some retailers using on-line services require extra passwords, and pin numbers before a card transaction will be accepted. As an example, Ebuyer use this procedure before confirming a purchase.

QuizMan 22:57 29 Mar 07

It only protects against cloning. This is where the details of the magnetic strip are read and the card is duplicated from that info. The 3 digit security code does not form part of the magnetic strip info.

squillary 17:05 01 Apr 07

On one occasion (a phone transaction) I was asked for these 3 digits and by mistake I gave the numbers from a different card.

Didn't make the slightest difference - the transaction went through...

What was the point of it again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…