Why don't AOL take direct debit?

CurlyWhirly 08:20 31 Jul 04

I am currently paying my monthly broadband subscription with my debit card which is due to expire soon.
I have rang up AOL and asked if I can change my payment plan to direct debit but they say I can't!
I am wondering whether it has anything to do with me banking with an internet bank as opposed to the high street?
I wanted to change to direct debit as I have heard stories that if you want to cancel your contract with AOL you will find it hard as a direct debit is much easier to cancel than a debit card payment?
Any one else have trouble like this?
CW

Valvegrid 08:41 31 Jul 04

That's the problem paying by debit card, you aren't as well protected as you are with a credit card, with a debit card your bank won't stop the payments, as highlighted on one of the TV docs recently.

When I was on AOL5 all those years ago I used to pay my subs by credit card, will they not accept that now? If they don't, I think I'd pull out PDQ, which is a shame if you like AOL's system.

CurlyWhirly 08:46 31 Jul 04

Valvegrid

I agree with you entirely!
By the way what does PDQ mean?
CW

Dorsai 08:58 31 Jul 04

PDQ = P ritty D amn Q uick.

CurlyWhirly 09:07 31 Jul 04

Dorsai

I have successfully given them my credit card details so I should be better protected now!
I don't know why I didn't think of this before!
Cheers for the PDQ explanation!
CW

picklesy 08:01 01 Aug 04

been with aol for about 3 years and alway,s paid by direct debit,don,t know why you can,t.

CurlyWhirly 17:28 01 Aug 04

Picklesy

AOL said that they don't deal with online banking accounts. I am with Cahoot - don't know why though!
CW

Valvegrid 17:50 01 Aug 04

Tee Hee! Sounds a bit comical, one of the biggest Internet suppliers in the world won't deal with on-line banking, I can see the irony of that :-D

CurlyWhirly 21:49 01 Aug 04

Valvegrid

Tee Hee! Sounds a bit comical, one of the biggest Internet suppliers in the world won't deal with on-line banking, I can see the irony of that

My sentiments exactly!
Ironic eh?
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…