why does everything have to be incompatible?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 07:25 06 Nov 04

the linux operating systems are fine,i can safely say much better than windows XP (with.sp2,and without sp2).there are alot of linux users out there,so why not make popular programs/hardware compatible with certain kernals of linux?.cheers.ben

Forum Editor 08:28 06 Nov 04

and to be honest, we've done it so many times before, and of course lots of software runs perfectly well on a Linux desktop.

To say that you can "safely say" Linux is "much better than windows XP" is incorrect - you can't safely say it, but you can offer an opinion. If that's what you think then fair enough, but millions will disagree with you. This whole question isn't one of which operating system is the best - the best operating system for you is the one that suits you the most, and that's all there is to it.

If you were running a software development company, and your potential userbase consisted of say, 10 million Windows users and 1 million Linux users, which sector of the market would you concentrate on? It's a simple matter of marketing sense - when there are enough Linux users to make it worthwhile for certain developers to see a significant advantage in ensuring specific compatibility it will happen.

Over the years we've seen the Linux/Windows debate rage back and forth, and each time we discuss the subject the arguments are much the same. Linux has definitely made inroads into the Windows market as time has passed, but progress has been very slow - the vast majority of home users still prefer Windows, and almost all new computers come with Windows XP preinstalled. Lots of corporate and institutional networks do run with Linux desktops, but they are still very much in a minority. Personally I couldn't care less what name is on my desktop; as long as the O/S does the job I'm happy, and I suspect that most people feel the same way. At the moment, and in my experience Windows XP does the job far better than Linux, so I'm sticking with it. I would take a small bet that a big majority of computer users will do the same thing, at least in the short to medium term. Software developers have their digital ears to the ground, and if there's the demand for Linux-friendly software they'll provide it.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:35 06 Nov 04

nope,i don't wan't a debate linux VS. windows,but i think you like windowsXP,becouse you have used windows 95 98 2000 and XP,and your used to the enviroment,and the BIG microsoft logo,that seems to constantly brag.id like to see the windows key,replaced with a penguin,my mum likes linux becouse she hates spiders,you know spider solitaire,on linux its the same but with penguins.i think the linux is great even if you use it just as a backup when windows fails.thanks for your reply,see ya soon.

Forum Editor 09:45 06 Nov 04

for much longer than you, BIG Ben strikes 10 again! and I'm as used to it as I am to Windows, which I've used since the very first version - long before Windows 95. Of course I like Windows - so do tens of millions of others.

Your question was about compatibility, and I've provided an answer to that, I hope.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:17 06 Nov 04

most definately,i have only been using linux recently,and windows 95 back in primary school.yes i forgot windows 3.11,even in the days of DOS forum editor?.what was it like?.

Forum Editor 10:45 06 Nov 04

but it would look a little clunky now.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:48 06 Nov 04

what was your favourite DOS application?.ive played dos games and ran lotus.cheers.ben

Sethhaniel 11:49 06 Nov 04

you could probably get some software to replace the spiders with penguins (or Scanned cats);)

I think if you are looking for a certain program or piece of hardware to attach = it is more likely to be available in windows format which has been well tested and probably a lot cheaper into the bargain ;)

It's Me 15:11 06 Nov 04

You mention lotus. Do you mean Lotus as in 123, Word Pro etc, or something else.

Diemmess 15:44 06 Nov 04

According to Ogden Nash - "When he has income, and she has pattability."

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:12 06 Nov 04

yeah that kinda lotus,it is an old office program i think,it had paint,graphs,word ect on it diemmess - compatibity is the most important thing on an operating system,although the linux operating systems comes with lots of toys pre-loaded,windows XP has a start menu loaded ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…