Why do we always add non essential words to

pj123 14:40 14 May 07

abbreviations?

Three that come to mind are:

PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) but we always say PAT Testing? (Portable Appliance Testing Testing) and

CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) said as:

CISS System.

RAM Memory etc.

Must be many more.

Jim Thing 14:48 14 May 07

PIN number?

Kate B 14:49 14 May 07

Pin numbers and ATM machines are the ones that spring to mind.

johndrew 14:51 14 May 07

Could this simply be described as the joy of using abbreviations?

For example PAT (in this case shouted) could be an abbreviation for a forename or an abbreviation for other descriptions (Positive Anchor Terminal, Principal Action Technologist, etc.). The same may also be said of your other examples I`m sure.

pj123 15:33 14 May 07

johndrew, I'm sure you're right. If you type ram into this site: click here

it comes up with quite a few, but I don't suppose you would say RAM Memory meaning
Royal Academy of Music Memory.

PIN Number and ATM Machine are good as they are used almost daily. "Please enter your PIN Number into the ATM Machine".

namtas 15:59 14 May 07

In many ways I suppose it is done in an attempt to bring back some meaning of what we are talking about, I am having some PAT done, or my CISS does not work does not convey a great deal to many people. The question that could be linked should be why do we abbreviate the spoken text in the first place.

Kate B 16:05 14 May 07

Lots of acronyms and abbreviations have found their way into the language and are comprehensible - in some cases, more comprehensible than the longer phrase they replace - but I can't stand lazy writing or speaking which uses abbreviations or acronyms that nobody understands. I'd never heard of PAT or CISS, for example.

pj123 17:39 14 May 07

Kate B, PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) is a Health and Safety issue. Anyone in a working environment should know about it.

Anything electrical on/around your desk/workspace at work should have a sticker on it saying when it was last tested and the date of the next test. If it doesn't have that sticker you can't use it.

postie24 18:23 14 May 07

PCA springs to mind

pj123 18:50 14 May 07

postie24, why?

I get PCA (PC Advisor) on subscription delivered every month.

I also get PCA (PC Answers) delivered monthly from my local newsagent

Alan H E 19:47 14 May 07

To widen ir out - Naan Bread (naan=bread)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…