Why do insects like the light?

WhiteTruckMan 22:20 12 Sep 06

And more to the point, is there any form of illumination that DOESNT attract the flying creepy crawlies? there are lights that are better at attracting them-I'm talking about the tubes in electric bug killers, but I'm really looking for something that does the opposite.

ANyone any ideas, or is it just a pipe dream?

WTM

hzhzhzhz 22:26 12 Sep 06

Night fliers use the Moon for navigation so I believe.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:29 12 Sep 06

Q: Why do insects like light?
A: No one really knows. Most scientists think that bright lights confuse the insects' guidance systems so they can't fly straight any more.

from click here

hzhzhzhz 22:31 12 Sep 06

click here Read what it says about the Weatherproof outdoor fluorescent.

VNAM75 22:38 12 Sep 06

They are an absolute nuisance - especially the moths. When they do get in, they have had it as far as I'm concerned. I have to keep the windows closed when it's hot.

There's insect sticky paper/tape some restaurants use that you dangle from the ceiling. It works well catching flies that try to get onto the food.

Forum Editor 23:28 12 Sep 06

more than any other wavelength. In terms of your house lights this will mean that they'll be attracted to white lights more than yellow ones, so if you don't like moths fluttering around the lamps make sure you have tungsten bulbs and possibly yellowish shades on the lights.

WhiteTruckMan 23:43 12 Sep 06

to sodium street lights, or is it just that they are too high up to see the wee beasties?

WTM

michaelandjolou 00:18 13 Sep 06

Artificial lighting has been blamed for decreases in populations of moths.It traps moths in buildings, diverts moths into vehicular traffic, and burns or desiccates moths that fly into lamp housings. Almost all of these effects are a consequence of flight-to-light behavior.Most species of macrolepidoptera moths exhibit such behavior, and most kinds of lamps used for artificial lighting elicit it.Low-pressure sodium lamps should be used in preference to other kinds of lamps.
thanks to Kenneth D. Frank click here

wee eddie 08:52 13 Sep 06

FE is correct in saying that UV light is especially attractive to Night Flying Insects.

On that basis, lighting approaching the Infra Red end of the Spectrum could prove effective.

The best source of such bulbs would probably be the Photographic community as they use them in their Dark-rooms.

spuds 14:11 13 Sep 06

Try wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket where there are a lot of midges about.

There's nothing more fascinating (imo) than seeing jungle forestry covered in fire flies.

Diemmess 16:34 13 Sep 06

........during the hot spell to chase a bat!
I could hear it doing circuits round the bedroom. With windows wide and curtains closed couldn't find its way out.

I think the sodium light in the lane at the edge of our village (which had been repaired only that day) attracted all sorts of bat food and the wretched animal had found a way through the curtains.
Vincent Price would have charmed it out, but I had to pull back the curtains and open the window as far it it would go. It just went!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant