Why can't we have OS CD's with a new computer?

Pineman100 16:57 08 Jul 07

I'm in the process on setting up a new laptop computer for my wife.

The first thing I've done is to create a recovery DVD, in the event that Windows and all the device drivers need to be reinstalled. So far the disk creation and verification have taken over 2 hours (and it's not finished yet!).

Why is this waste of my time necessary? So far as I can see, the only benefit is to the OS publishers and device suppliers. They can save a few measly pence on not having to supply me with the CD's containing their software.

Grrrrr....

powerless 17:17 08 Jul 07

The make of that laptop is?

Pineman100 17:23 08 Jul 07

Packard Bell, from PC World.

crosstrainer 17:23 08 Jul 07

Is a good idea, but most laptops come with a restore partition (As with my Acer) there is a function in the BIOS to restore the machine to it's original state should things go wrong....shouldn't take that long to create backup DVD's though.... Mine currently takes 6 DVD's to backup everything, I can then choose (from the BIOS) to restore from the DVD'S I have created (all my data) or from the restore partition on the HDD

interzone55 17:28 08 Jul 07

This was lead by Microsoft who decided that to cut down on Piracy they would stop major OEMs from supplying windows discs with their PCs.

Some manufacturers rebelled and carried on, others supply the OS disc at additional cost.

Most manufacturers now supply a recovery disc that either has the OS & drivers on the disc as an image file, or has a small application that wipes the C: partition and then ghosts the OS back from a hidden partition, neither is a perfect solution, but it does save users from having to manually reinstall the OS and drivers, which is not always an easy process, but it is much easier than it used to be under win 95 & win 98.

I remember when I worked in service centre, the ghost image server we used for Windows 98 machines died, and couldn't be recovered, so we used to have to manually load the OS & drivers, we had about 8 or 9 different motherboards in our PCs, and they all needed different drivers, figuring which combination of drivers went together for which model was a nightmare.

Jake_027 17:45 08 Jul 07

I understand your frustration. When I first got my laptop becuase it had so much bloatware on it it took longer to start up than the 5 year old pc it replaced (which was built for me, and thus had a clean windows install. Even if you uninstall it all, it still leaves old files and registry entries. Thankfully I got a Vista Express upgrade (as I bought just after xmas), so I now have a vista disk I cna reinstall fresh from with no problems. Even so, many drivers that new computers come with are already out of date, itwould be much better to just boot up on generic windows drivers and then provide links to downlaod sites, as this would ensure up to date drivers, and would also provide a place to easily get future updates.

Pineman100 17:49 08 Jul 07

>>most laptops come with a restore partition (As with my Acer) there is a function in the BIOS to restore the machine to it's original state should things go wrong<<

Yes, crosstrainer - my wife's new laptop has that feature. But it's not much use of your HDD goes belly up (or, more accurately, head down)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac