Why bother helping other people

bumpkin 17:08 16 Oct 14

Let me pose you this example of gratitude. Late last night a man who I know knocked on my door and asked if I had a petrol can that he could borrow as he had ran out of petrol. I searched around in the dark and found the one I use for mowers. The nearest garage is a one mile walk each way which he was going to do and with his young daughter so I gave him my mower petrol just to get him to the garage. He was good enough to return the now empty can. Never mind I will just drive to the garage tomorrow and re-fill it ready for the next time someone asks.

spuds 17:50 16 Oct 14

Its probably happened to a number of people. At least you got your can back, some people will not even bother to do that nowadays. I hope the mower isn't a two stroke!.

bumpkin 18:31 16 Oct 14

Not 2 stroke but it would have probably got him to the garage anyway with a bit of smoke. Having poured my petrol into his car why not give the can straight back rather than take it with him if he has no intention of replacing it. He lives a few miles from me and was fortunate to run out of petrol outside my house rather than down one of the lanes. Very unlikely to happen again but what I would have done in hindsight would be give him the empty can and let him walk or say I don't have one. I am not worried about the cost of a bit of petrol, it is the principle. Had it been the other way round I would have returned the can full as soon as I had left the garage and felt myself extremely fortunate.

wee eddie 18:37 16 Oct 14

Don't worry.

When the Celestial Prize Giving comes around, you will have added Brownie Points

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 16 Oct 14

M...ust

U...rge

G...ratitude

bumpkin 20:20 16 Oct 14

wee eddie and Fruitbat, amusing replies but what would you have done. I was not seeking eternal gratitude just what I thought would be a bit of common courtesy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 16 Oct 14

I agree, some people take the proverbial mile.

bumpkin 21:03 16 Oct 14

I have run out of petrol as a teenager with no money. probably most of us did.These days any 45yr ish man with family in the car must be some kind of moron to let it happen in the first place.

Aitchbee 21:21 16 Oct 14

" I have run out of petrol as a teenager with no money. probably most of us did."

Moronic statements like that [one] will get no sympathy from me, bumpkin :o[

bumpkin 21:24 16 Oct 14

So what is that supposed to mean

Aitchbee 21:29 16 Oct 14

Most teenagers do not own a car!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos