Why are so many members

stalion 13:51 12 Feb 05

Getting Trojan horses on their computers is it because of inadequate protection or their av not up to the job?.My av blocks these at source so that they can not enter.I think a collective discussion on this may help to prevent more and more of this.

Forum Editor 13:58 12 Feb 05

it will be interesting to see what conclusions are reached.

€dstowe 14:12 12 Feb 05

I think a lot of the posts coming in complaining about Trojans are from "newbies" who might not be as aware as "us regulars" about the implications of this malware and, more important, how to prevent/remove it.

Could be a subject for the magazine again.

CurlyWhirly 15:01 12 Feb 05

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an anti-virus program DOESN'T detect trojans as well as a dedicated trojan scanner like, for example, a2 squared does?
A trojan and a virus are not quite the same thing, so this could be the reason?

Jackcoms 15:28 12 Feb 05

Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head.

Do 'newbies' (and, indeed, some of us 'oldies') fully understand the subtle differences between viruses, Trojans and worms, etc. and, thus, the different types of protection which are needed to keep them all at bay?

This is useful
click here

end 15:47 12 Feb 05

so; what "protection programs shoud we have on our machines as"basics essentails"; not OTT stuf but basic bits and pieces; can someone tell me that?

I"ve already got spybot, adaware, AGV,and Guard IE (for pop-ups); what other basic program ought one to consider having on a pC without going OTT on protection?

bea in mind that I o not go to many places where horrors might be lurking, however, emails are a nasty area :(

stalion 15:50 12 Feb 05

yes that is the point some anti-virus software does not detect trojans very well only viruses that is why I use the one that I have,which detects both and dialers.
€dstowe you could well be right may be a subject for the magazine

1514 16:09 12 Feb 05

Perhaps it would be a good idea to suggest a suite of protection programmes to all who join our club?

Jackcoms 16:15 12 Feb 05

These are all free and regularly recommended in this Forum.

Take your choice (I use all of them).

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Mr Mistoffelees 16:16 12 Feb 05

I use Norton Internet Security 2003, updated weekly and Spybot 1.3tx, updated every time I run it. also each time I run Spybot I update the Immunization. I also keep Windows XP Pro SP2 up to date. I just don't get trojans and very very rarely get a virus alert. When I run a full system scan with Norton Antivirus, after downloading the latest update file, it never finds anything.

1514 16:33 12 Feb 05

Protection group of programmes that I use:-

E trust, antivirus, firewall and Email protection.
Prevx Pro, worms and Trojans and other nasties.
MS, Antispyware.
Spybot search and destroy and Spywareblaster

Housekeeping Programmes

Dustbuster, Perfect Disc 7, Regcompact,
CCleaner, Registry First Aid.

Backup,

Acronis True Image 8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…