Why are people who have been self-employed penalised.

Kevscar1 11:37 20 Dec 11

Can't get a warmfront grant to instal central heating because my ESA is contribution based not income. Had a nice jady round this morning about installing a walk ni shower, form says Income based ESA or Job Seekers allowance. Used to pay more tax than the average employed person but that doesn't matter.

oresome 11:49 20 Dec 11

If you was a high earner at one time, why didn't you install central heating then at your own expense?

Kevscar1 12:02 20 Dec 11

i didn't need it then and have had to use all my savings just to survive.

Cymro. 12:56 20 Dec 11

I agree very much with you oresome. People are all too quick to criticize those who have to live on benefits and call them Social Security scroungers and the like. In my experience it is the self employed who have every scam going to reduce their level of taxation.

bob. 13:19 20 Dec 11

oresome

Agree with you. In the good times you plan ahead for the future.

Woolwell 14:11 20 Dec 11

Cymro - Your statement is a slur on many honest self-employed people I know. Just what is your experience? Have you ever been self-employed? Being self-employed is not easy.

I will let Kevscar answer some of the unkind comments himself.

Kevscar1 14:12 20 Dec 11

How could I know the future was going to be getting an incureable condition that made me ultra-hypersensitive to heat, cold, touch and vibration and unable to get out of a bath. The plan was to get central heating installed once the morgage was paid off because we didn't need it. Now we can't pay for it, can't even pay the mortgage so we will end up homeless.

polish 16:56 20 Dec 11

crymo iam quite disgusted about your slur on self employed people of which iam one and do not fiddle the system and claim back only which iam allowed to .i carry on working when i have cold etc when alot of people who work for a company would call in sick i go out of my way to keep my customers happy.

Forum Editor 18:43 20 Dec 11

"In my experience it is the self employed who have every scam going to reduce their level of taxation."

What a ridiculous statement.

Self-employed people are perfectly entitled to mitigate their tax liabilities to the maximum amount allowed by law. It's legal, and has been so for a very long time. The vast majority of self-employed people work hard to earn a living, and pay the tax that is due, when it's due.

Making sweeping comments without apparently understanding what you're talking about is a risky business.

Kevscar1 10:13 21 Dec 11

polish If everybody was forced to be self-emplyed there would be a lot less days lost to sicknes. As you said we don't have a few days off because we have a little sniffle or just dont feel like getting out of bed.

polish 19:59 21 Dec 11

last year i worked for nearly a year with a bad back if i had a option i wouldnt have worked but i have to for many reasons although i do pay for a income protection scheme if i really cant work but it only pays half my income.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…