Why?

Quiller. 19:37 27 Jul 04

I bought 3 spotlamp bulbs 9 months ago for the kitchen light, to replace them all.

The first one blew within 24 hours.

The second one blew within 3 days.

The third one is still going strong, nine months later!!!

Why did I not take the first two back, because it was only £1.99 for the three.

and why have I not replaced the other two, well I want to see how long this one will go on for.

So why do two go within 72 hours and the other still works. Defies logic.

Whats your why?

Valvegrid 20:08 27 Jul 04

It could be any reason why they've gone faulty, dropped, faulty batch, poor air circulation around the lamp, inferior quality, at 66p each I'd expect the last one.

Spotlight lamps do have a higher failure rate because of their poor construction, the filament length is quite short so the inrush current is high, that is the current used to heat the filament up from cold, that's a killer for them.

sanpat 20:08 27 Jul 04

All of these bulbs are on the same circuit/switch??
If the switch is of poor quality or old or you are one of those folk who press switches gently and slowly then there will be an arc across the contacts as the switch closes. The bulbs nearest the switch get the full effect of the surge the arc produces and blow.

replace the bulbs and practise a swift action on the switch, if that does not work replace the switch they do not last forever.

sanpat

oresome 18:29 28 Jul 04

To concur with sanpat, I have noticed that our security lighting using normal tungsten light bulbs last for ages........in fact 2 out of 3 are probably the originals well over 10 years old. The bulbs are electronically switched via a triac, so there is no sparking of a mechanical switch. The triac will also switch at a particular point on the alternating voltage sine wave which might be kinder to the bulbs.

Forum Editor 00:09 29 Jul 04

They have blue translucent rims, and provide the perfect light by which to delete threads and posts. The halogen lamps in them seem to last almost forever - no idea why, as they're switched on and off quite frequently.

I remember reading a story about an ordinary tungsten bulb that had been hanging in a shop stockroom for many years - switched on permanently. I believe it had been running for well over twenty years, although I could be wrong.

Non of which has the remotest connection with computing of course - except my everlasting desk lamps. Wait! what was that popping sound?

Dan the Confused 00:38 29 Jul 04

Maybe you should buy from Shelby Electric Company click here

Forum Editor 01:23 29 Jul 04

Thanks for that - it must have been the one in Ipswich, but I had no idea it was as old as that. Makes my desklamps look positively silly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…