Whoops!

morddwyd 16:07 05 Oct 10

Guess what this retired "well-past-his-sell-by-date" Health & Safety Officer did while giving the hedge its final cut with an electric hedge trimmer this morning?

Thank God for double insulation and RCD sockets!

babybell 16:12 05 Oct 10

You can't even electrocute yourself by cutting into a electric cable anymore?!

It's health and safety gone mad!

;o)

morddwyd 16:17 05 Oct 10

First thing my wife said was, "Are you still alive?"

I know I'm slowing down but that's ridiculous!

canarieslover 16:30 05 Oct 10

There should be a club for people like us, I know lots of people who have managed to do this so membership would be quite large. I've had to point out to a couple of them that a./ Insulation tape is not the correct method of rejoining the cable, & b./ That using an outdoor cable connector is a good method, but only if you remember that the exposed pins, when connector is separated, should be on the cable that is still connected to the trimmer. I have seen one fitted the other way round where the chap was oblivious to the fact that they were live and dangerous when he disconnected from there.

Quickbeam 16:49 05 Oct 10

I did that in the spring on the last stretch to the top of the hedge. I've still not repaired the flex though.

Forum Editor 17:05 05 Oct 10

is now about half the length it was when it came out of its box - I seem incapable of using the trimmer without slicing through the cable.

As you say, thank goodness for RCDs.

john bunyan 19:16 05 Oct 10

Glad you were not harmed. I have a 2 stroke hedge trimmer and earlier this year I stupidly let go of one of the handles whilst moving a twig - a finger nearly got cut off - got away with a nasty cut.

sunnystaines 20:25 05 Oct 10

now your getting on in age, have you thought about residential care, lol

wellshgit 22:20 05 Oct 10

I did the same thing a few years ago with a brand new trimmer, first time I used it. Then after I had repaired it, I cut through the wife's washing line. She was definately not amused.

spuds 23:34 05 Oct 10

Funny enough, I was only looking at our hedges this morning, considering whether to do the last pre-winter hibernation cut.

RCD plus wellington boots and rubber gloves methinks ;o))

bjh 08:52 06 Oct 10

..... and "they" make all these gardening power cables red, so you can see them clearly! (Which is great for the colour-blind blokes, like me).

Equally, why are secateurs always coloured green? I put them down for a mo, pop over to pull a weed, then spend the next half hour crawling around trying to find them.

At least my hedge trimmer now has a blue power lead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…