Who will manage the managers?

Diemmess 13:46 27 Jul 10

Government says it must cut money for NH Services.
As tax payers the huge cost of administration seems the obvious target.

Another re-organisation is in the offing, but who will decide which systems are self serving and of little or no value to patients?
click here

For nearly 30 years until retirement in 1990, I was an elected delegate of a professional committee serving on the Family Practitioner Committee. At the begining it was called the Executive Council at the end of my service it was becoming a Primary Care Trust.

With each reorganisation the building used doubled its size and the senior management grew ever more exotic job titles and salaries.

The Treasurer I knew quite well. He was due to retire three months after me. He told me that his replacement had been appointed to shadow him, the new title was Director of Financial Services at a salary nearly twice that of the retiring Treasurer.

Another problem if a thorough comb-out of unnecessary administration actually happens will be a significant increase in unemplyment and a huge bill for redundancy payments.

First things first.

johndrew 15:02 27 Jul 10

It has long been recognised by those who 'produce' that those who 'consume' are always fatter. The problem is that PCTs in common with other quasi-expert bodies exist solely for their own sake rather than the benefit of those they are supposed to serve. Added to this they shroud their function in mystique and/or mumbo jumbo to confuse any who would attempt to find their true purpose; such exposure to full sunlight may well affect their longevity in a similar manner to other vampires.

There are those individuals who truly attempt to do the job properly but are swamped by those who wish only to live on the fat of the land. Unfortunately these same well meaning people are often powerless to either control the greed of their fellows or to expose them.

All very sad really. But then it is the way of a society that allows job creation (it can occur in industry as well) to ensure low unemployment and feed the egos of certain types of individuals.

Quangos may be slightly curtailed for now, but do we have the 'weed killer' to destroy the roots and stop their regrowth.

bri-an 16:01 27 Jul 10

"..but do we have the 'weed killer' to destroy the roots and stop their regrowth."

Absolutely not.
As sure as night follows day other 'quango-type' setups will appear - there are so many who live by being on committees of one form or another.

An example was in the latest 'project' to have an elected Health Board in our (rural) area. It was interesting to see those who applied (personal statements of each candidate sent out to all voters). Ex-politicians, councillors, utilities board members etc etc.
Once one gravy train is taken away another always surfaces!

spuds 16:13 27 Jul 10

Surely,"Ex-politicians, councillors, utilities board members etc etc" are the only people qualified to run these committees. After all they are most likely had years in running something or another for the public.

A new kid on the block would ruin everything ;o).

Diemmess 17:49 27 Jul 10

Things may be different now... though I doubt it.
20 odd years ago my own membership was terminated in a letter which included the words "We have decided not to invite you for another term."

I didn't mind with retirement less than a year away, but I was properly representing my profession and until then imagined that as a delegated member the decision should rest with my appointing committee.
(I'm convinced that it was my refusal to take a day from my practice merely to have a free buffet lunch and be present when the then Minister of Health opened the swanky new building).

Quangos don't bother me all that much, but the vast army of administrators (CEOs these days) and their support managers, clerks and bottle washers most certainly do.

Dog doesn't eat dog, and I don't see how the huge army of pen pushers or mouse minders left to themselves will in Roman fashion decimate their own ranks.

Forum Editor 17:56 27 Jul 10

of a London Primary Care Trust quite well, and she says her job will go at some point. She doesn't seem too concerned, and I imagine that she'll either make a good living as a consultant when GPs need help to manage budgets and admin, or she'll be directly employed by one of the new 'Social enterprises'.

morddwyd 20:11 27 Jul 10

The cuts will be made, as usual, by sacking the likes of porters and cleaners and advertising the jobs at a lower salary, or contracting them out to companies that rely on cheap non-complaining illegals.

ams4127 20:15 27 Jul 10

"and a wonderful method (reorganization) can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."
- Petronius Arbiter, 210 BC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…