Who wants to be a millionaire?

Bald Eagle 20:38 08 Aug 09

Who checks the randomness of the 50/50 helpline? Five minutes ago my family once again predicted which two answers would be left because they are the two "obvious" candidates. It is so obviously "fixed" because contestants will not say which answer they think is correct because their answer (even if wrong) will be one of the two left.
BE

tullie 23:16 08 Aug 09

Must be too late for me,will scratch me head overnight and try and work out what you are on about.Apologys if its me.

dagnammit 23:27 08 Aug 09

it's you.

Bald Eagle - they say that it's the computer.

It's got a choice of taking 2 out 3 away, the fourth being the correct answer which obviously has to stay.

I've seen lots of instances where the contestant benefits from the 50/50. To say it's fixed without proof is erm... what's that legal term?

Stuartli 23:28 08 Aug 09

I'm aware of what you are discussing, but the intention will obviously be to leave the right and wrong answers still casting doubt in the contestant's mind.

Still an even bet..:-)

Stuartli 23:30 08 Aug 09

The choice is one out of three - the other is the correct answer.....:-)

Forum Editor 23:31 08 Aug 09

"It is so obviously "fixed" without firm evidence with which to back it up. All you have is your opinion, and that's fine, but you mustn't make allegations based on it.

dagnammit 23:47 08 Aug 09

Read my post again.

I said it has a choice of taking 2 out 3 away.

You're telling it has a choice of keeping 1 out of 3.

;)

Bald Eagle 09:29 09 Aug 09

Right, obviously fixed is the wrong word to use. I apologise. Why then after probably the first series did contestants start refusing to say which answers they were torn between? Probably because nearly every time the two answers they mentioned were the two randomly selected by the computer and they were no better off. Also conversely if they were sure two were wrong, once again, they are the ones eliminated by the computer leaving the contestant no better off.
BE

Stuartli 10:12 09 Aug 09

It's simple.

There are four answers and only one is the correct one.

So, with 50-50, the other 50-50 answer (an incorrect one) is selected from the three remaining answers (all incorrect).

dagnammit 10:39 09 Aug 09

Stuartli the line is "computer please take away two of the wrong answers."

It takes two out of the three wrong answers away.

Bald Eagle here's what wiki says:

" Fifty-Fifty (50:50): The contestant asks the host to have the computer randomly eliminate two of the incorrect answer choices, leaving the contestant with a choice between the correct answer and one incorrect one.
Originally, in both the UK and U.S. versions, the answers eliminated were not random but were pre-selected as the ones the contestant was least likely to pick. This was not mentioned on the air (for example, U.S. host Regis Philbin would just explain "The computer will now take away two of the wrong answers leaving only one wrong answer and the correct one.") but was revealed in interviews.[citation needed] In syndication, the selection was random (and U.S. host Meredith Vieira always says so). This lifeline has been eliminated in the seventh season of the U.S. syndicated program. "

So the two wrong answers it takes away are predetermined as the least likely to be picked by the contestant. So, statistaically there is a higher chance that a wrong answer picked by the contestant is the one remaining wrong answer.

Not fixed as you put it but predetermined.

dagnammit 10:41 09 Aug 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…