To Who it may Concern

fourm member 20:15 PM 23 Mar 13
  Bing.alau 20:42 PM 23 Mar 13

In Peru, whomever wants it can have drinking water from fresh air... Or so it seems from another thread not far from here.

Bing.alau 20:44 PM 23 Mar 13

The April the first thread to whomsoever is interested.

natdoor 20:56 PM 23 Mar 13

The internet may have hastened the demise of "whom", he suggests. The internet has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that grammar is no longer taught. Even at grammar school in the forties there was inadequate teaching of grammar, a view to which I came on experiencing the rigidity of the structure of latin grammar. German, for example, also has a fairly rigid grammatical construction and I suspect that it poses great problems in teaching it if pupils have no concept of cases and how they are used. "Whom" is the correct form for accusative (object), dative and ablative. No-one has the right to retire it. "Who is on who" may be acceptable for colloquial use but should not be used by an educated person in formal company. It is not a question of being understood but being correct. And don't get me started on personal pronouns.

rdave13 21:01 PM 23 Mar 13

Still 'sounds' bad rather than 'to whom'.

Aitchbee 21:56 PM 23 Mar 13

I've noticed over the last month or so that the word ' absolutely ' has been replaced by the more down-to-earth ' that's right ' when someone is agreeing with another person's viewpoint.

bremner 22:19 PM 23 Mar 13

The English language has and always will develop. The loss of whom will only worry lexicograpers, wordsmiths and Stephen Fry the rest of us will carry on.

rdave13 22:35 PM 23 Mar 13

bremner , then the same goes for 'text' speech. Que Sera, Sera.

bumpkin 23:56 PM 23 Mar 13

So the changing of the English language is OK innit.

rdave13 23:59 PM 23 Mar 13

Flak999 00:16 AM 24 Mar 13

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off