who can vote in scottish indep saga

sunnystaines 13:56 07 Aug 14

is it just scots living in scotland.what about english and welsh living full time in scotland, or the millions of scots living in england.

also what is scottish, being born there, scottish parent, or having lived there for a while.

hssutton 14:15 07 Aug 14

The following rules apply

British citizens resident in Scotland. Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave. Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland. Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland. Service personnel serving in the UK or overseas with the armed forces who are registered to vote in Scotland. Crown personnel serving outside the UK with HM Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

Voting minimum age 16. I find it quite bizarre that my Scottish friends living in England have no vote, but any Commonwealth or EU persons living in Scotland do.

morddwyd 20:03 07 Aug 14

"I find it quite bizarre that my Scottish friends living in England have no vote, but any Commonwealth or EU persons living in Scotland do."

I am an EU citizen, from Wales.

I left my native Wales in1953, though I did not fetch up in Scotland until 1957.

Would it not be just as bizarre if Sean Connery, who hasn;t spent much money in Scottish businesses for quite some time, should more right to vote than someone who has helped to keep Scots in work for nearly 60 years?

If the boot was on the other foot, do you really suggest I should have a say in Wales's future?

If we vote Yes there's a 90% chance we'll get a Labour government in the first election,

If we vote No we may get a labour government as and when the English electorate decides and it is only the English electorate. At the last election only one constituent part of the UK voted Tory, yet we are all governed by that English majority.

john bunyan 09:50 08 Aug 14

A young relative has just been to Barcelona. The Catalans, who want independence from Spain just as fervently, are watching with interest. Many EU states are worried about "Balkanisation" of the EU if others, such as the Basques, Catalans , (Shetlanders), and others follow suit.

wee eddie 12:45 08 Aug 14

Shetland will, of course, succeed to Norway. Its old ruler.

spuds 13:07 08 Aug 14

"Shetland's bid for power over local affairs and a slice of oil revenues could complicate negotiations between Edinburgh and London over currency, national debt and splitting oil reserves in the event of a Yes vote in September and ahead of what would be independence in March 2016."

There was a number of television debates, that were aired in England, in the evening, possibly on Freeview, which where conducted on and from the various isles. Some very interesting facts came from those involved in the local running of their communities, and what would benefit them the most, in the Yes or No vote.

Part of the television interviews, was from a fisherman on the 'Tweed', Which I suppose you cannot get more on the North and South dividing line that that. He wanted out of the UK?.

morddwyd 19:21 08 Aug 14

"Shetland's bid for power over local affairs and a slice of oil revenues could complicate negotiations between Edinburgh and London"

What on earth makes you think that Salmond will have any power in Scotland after a yes vote?

Scotland always votes Labour in a general election, and there is no reason to suppose that will change if we become a sovereign state.

Johan Lamond will decide on currency, Faslane,oil and who gets our fish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…