Whizz bang idea to save lives and money

jack 14:39 02 Nov 06

So read a news item today see
click here

I have no doubt that these things are going to be a boon, and the medical team having invented them and arranged to get them made on a limited scale run[As opposed to the mass scale of things from China] think it is good value

But at any computer fair/shop over the land flat keyboards in made in one piece from vinyl can be bought for a Fiver

hijo 14:49 02 Nov 06

yeah thats not a bad idea,wonder if its patented..lol

€dstowe 15:12 02 Nov 06

When I did my medical training all computer equipment (screens, keyboards, mice etc) in operating theatres were covered with cling film. Most of the other equipment was shrouded in sterile polythene (or similar) film. It was all replaced between (and sometimes during) medical and surgical procedures.

I don't see a real need for specially designed (= expensive) items like this. OK, cling film and plastic bags may not be ideal but, is this new device likewise?

wee eddie 15:42 02 Nov 06

I think that they are being a little over-enthusiastic with their prediction of its possible success rate.

I am not sure of the exact %age of Humanity that carries the (Dormant)MRSA virus, but it is said to be somewhere close to 90%.

Every little bit helps, and the figure of a 10% reduction may be realistic, but the Press are making more of it than that figure justifies.

Forum Editor 19:10 02 Nov 06

MRSA isn't a virus, it's a bacterium (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), and is commonly found in the noses and on the skin of healthy people.

I think you might be surprised by how effective these keyboards will be in reducing the transmission of bacterial infections - provided the cleaning routine is adhered to. All it takes is a spray and a wipe over each time the reminder light flashes on the keyboard.

As always, the success or failure of this idea will depend on the human element - busy hospital staff are going to have to do the cleaning.

jack 19:32 02 Nov 06

FE said
I think you might be surprised by how effective these keyboards will be in reducing the transmission of bacterial infections - provided the cleaning routine is adhered to. All it takes is a spray and a wipe over each time the reminder light flashes on the keyboard.
I amsure your are right a smooth surface easily cleaned has to be a help.
My point is these folk seem to have had an idea and fllowed it up with what appears to be special production run[£100 a piece is quoted] where as something like it exists in rt commercial world for a good deal less.
Indeed at NHS costs these items[the commercial ones] could be called disposable.

De Marcus™ 19:43 02 Nov 06

jack, I've not seen the commercial equivalent, do you have a link?

jack 19:53 02 Nov 06

De Marcus™ said
Jack, I've not seen the commercial equivalent, do you have a link?

No I don't - I have seen them on vendors pitches at a computer fair - and I am almost sure I have seen them at a retail store [PCW say] ,on another foruma member assures me I am correct and that they have been around long time.

De Marcus™ 19:58 02 Nov 06

jack, I'm not disputing the fact that they may be commercially available, was just wondering if you had a link to one, that's all :-)

jack 20:07 02 Nov 06

De Marcus™ said

jack, I'm not disputing the fact that they may be commercially available, was just wondering if you had a link to one, that's all :-)

OK lets go a web hunting - first one to find it is a champion

;-)

jack 20:09 02 Nov 06

Done- and I was nto a cheating - Google has all the answers - typed in waterproof ketboards and this came up
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant