Whitehaven goes digital...

Quickbeam 16:55 17 Oct 07

click here
I know this has been on the cards for a long time, and the choice on freeview is greater, but what is wrong with leaving analog transmissions going?

One of the costs not mentioned in the article is the aerial cost. I live in a fairly well populated area and still had to fork out nearly £200 for an aerial that would receive digital programs.

Jak_1 17:10 17 Oct 07

Only BBC2 at the moment, the other 4 chenels will be done over a 4 week period.

I have a digibox and it works perfectly with the 30 year old aerial that I have on the roof,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 17 Oct 07

live in a fairly well populated area and still had to fork out nearly £200 for an aerial that would receive digital programs.

Paid £20 from Wilkinsons and fitted at my parents who live in a weak signal area.
Mother is now busy spending my inheritance on QVC.

;0)

octal 17:28 17 Oct 07

"what is wrong with leaving analog transmissions going?"

Efficiency, analogue transmitters are inefficient on bandwidth and running one analogue transmitter is hugely costly. One digital transmitter runs far less power than it's analogue cousin and it will carry several channels, saving on the environment.

Ive often wondered,when the digital signal is turned up,will the indoor aerials aka the ones supplied with tv usb sticks be able to pick up a signal?

Quickbeam 17:41 17 Oct 07

"I live in a fairly well populated area and still had to fork out nearly £200 for an aerial that would receive digital programs."

I could only get the two strongest stations on the old analogue aerial, even now I can't get channel five except on the cable box in the living room.

Quickbeam 17:51 17 Oct 07

The channel showing the World Cup match on Saturday was turned off and nobody in Whitehaven could watch it... Oooooooooh Noooooo!!!

A mistake like that would bring a Government down!

Chegs ®™ 18:04 17 Oct 07

I live in whitehaven and can confirm that we lost BBC2 in the early hours as stated,unfortunately we also lost the rest as well so at this moment we have no analogue signals at all.It matters little to me though as I a)rarely watch any TV and b) have had satellite system to enable me to watch the odd channel 5 program.

wiz-king 18:06 17 Oct 07

I didn't know they were in a world cup!

Si_L 18:24 17 Oct 07

£200!!!!!

We paid £8 for ours!

click here

Quickbeam 18:31 17 Oct 07

It did include a new chimney pole to raise the height, new cabling to two other rooms, flush fitting wall sockets and the engineers time. You wouldn't get me on a roof for a gold pig. I don't do wing walking... look what happened to Rod Hull when he decided to re-align his aerial! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…