White van man gets gets stuck in the slow lane

al's left peg 08:57 08 May 10

New EU proposals intend to electronically limit the speed of every new van to 75mph. Will this be the end of the Merc Sprinter looming large in your rear view mirror of the right hand lane of the motorway?

wiz-king 09:01 08 May 10

Good - now fit them to all cars as well!

ronalddonald 09:36 08 May 10

wizking does that include police fire and ambulance cars and vans anything with blue light on top, do you drive wizking, if so what vehicle do you drive.

ronalddonald 09:38 08 May 10

buses already have what are known as retarders they limit the speed on buses.

birdface 10:11 08 May 10

It will probably cause more accidents than it stops.
If you are passing something in the middle lane you only have the extra 5 miles an hour to pass which could hold up traffic behind you.
80Pmh would be better.
Or as it is only a 70 Mph speed limit why not fit it in cars as well.
Instead of limiting there speed they should be limiting the time that drivers are allowed to drive them.
At the moment they can drive 24 hours a day without stopping for meals or rest.
At least HGV drivers are protected by only being able to drive certain hours per day and have to stop for breaks and rest.No such luck if you drive a van.

morddwyd 10:44 08 May 10

"At least HGV drivers are protected by only being able to drive certain hours per day and have to stop for breaks and rest.No such luck if you drive a van"

The reason being, of course, that you need a special licence to drive an HGV, while WVM only requires a car licence.

Bring the car licence weight limit down, or limit it to non-commercial vehicles only.

wiz-king 10:56 08 May 10

Yes I drive, a white transit van and a car. I don't find it necessary to drive at more that the national limit, I will admit that on some roads I may be doing slightly more than the speed limit but that is usually because of bad signage - going from 50 to 30 without warning is fairly common round here with the signs hidden by trees and hedges.
Obviously an exception would be made for emergency vehicles although if cars were limited the need for high-speed chases would drop.

cream. 11:36 08 May 10

wiz-king's postings ;-)

cream. 11:38 08 May 10

They should also fit them with radar, so they can't get with in 5 yards of the vehicle in front if they are travelling over 20mph.

birdface 13:22 08 May 10

Yes but do you think it is safe to allow any drivers to drive 24 hours a day especially if you have to do it for a living.
It is sometimes the case when you have no choice either do it or they will get someone else to do it.
If it is not safe for an HGV driver to work over the permitted hours it should also be the same for the WTM.

WhiteTruckMan 22:06 08 May 10

"If it is not safe for an HGV driver to work over the permitted hours it should also be the same for the WTM."

Eh?

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant